Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SRD advise needed

Author Topic: SRD advise needed
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 03:22 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please advise:
When running SRD prints with original leader, the only way i can start a show without an annoying "beep", seems to be choosing format SR, -start, c/o and first then push SRD on CP65.
If only You could see the beep as in the good old days...

Would anyone please say the magic words ? (Gryffindor, Hokus Pokus,
DTS or.....)

Thanks !

Per

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-09-2001 04:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How is your automation system set up in regards to pulsing the CP65 at the start of a show? Are you running changeovers or platter? Also, do you have the upgraded cat 311-A card in your DA20 with it set for auto digital detection?

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 06:48 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Brad -

No automation whatsoever - everything is done manually with my tiny, stinkin' fingers...
Running both c/o and platter, -having heard the beep only when starting up - that is not in c/o situation.
ALso no trouble in ordinary shows, because i allways start with local commercials, which are SR only. -Trouble coming, though - commercials will be SRD from new year..!

"Push the Button, Max" *BUMM*
(Fate, Professor)

BYW: When DTS is being forced silent - that is making my own intermission in "Harry Potter", DTS gives me a "beep", too.
Which means, that i can chose SRD to start with a beep, just when openingcurtins, or run DTS to wake up audience with a beep, telling everybody, that the consession stand is now open !

Life i s a bitch

/ p.

Otherwise: Potter best friend in years. Almost every show sold out and they are all ready to come again...!

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-09-2001 11:54 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't even know SR-D included a 2 second beep.
My first impression is that you are starting the show with the film sound live. I don't think this is a good idea. Leaders often have some messy stuff on the sound track before the sound actually starts that can cause loud noises - plus the usual beep. Digital (if you force digital with no auto analog backup) because of the silence unless there is valid data would be better - except for the beep.

My idea of a proper manual start is 1: fade non-sync out; 2: start projector motor; 3: start houselight fade to dim; 4 pen dowser on black after 2 sec frame; 5: then select film sound format and fade up if not auto mute like CP200 - I have 2 seconds to do this, and then fade the houselights to dark after the trailers.

Automation starts generally disappoint me because of the sudden switch from non-sync to film sound. This is just poor showmanship.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2001 01:30 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is what I do:

Start with the Changeover on the projector with reel 2. Thread reel 1 just as you would any other reel for changeover(at the 10 or 9 on the academy leader). With the lamp on for reel one, start the motor on the projector. after the countdown is throught the gate and the soundhead, hit changeover and open the dowser.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2001 03:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not understanding your post too clearly Per.

Do you have the cat311A card?

Do you have dts and SRD both hooked into the CP65 at all times?

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2001 12:41 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When using a CP65 and SRD & DTS, be sure to power off the digital system (SRD or DTS) not being used. Our automation pulses interfer with each other.

When playing a film in DTS and you hear a "beep", you are probably hearing the sync pop. You will bear this pop in DTS:

- If the feature's reel (other than the last reel) runs out and the incoming reel is playing in analog.

- If the leader you are using has timecode on it and it has come from the end of a reel.

In these cases, you are causing the disc to go to the beginning of the file which is footage count "0" and that is where the "pop" (beep) is. DTS sound start begins at footage count "1". Care must be taken to be sure any leader used has no timecode information on it.

Karen at DTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: