Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Imitation of Life (1959) 1.66 or 1.85

Author Topic: Imitation of Life (1959) 1.66 or 1.85
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 03:59 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping that someone out there can help me on this one. I am showing a print of Imitation of Life, the 1959 version, this evening. The reels are marked 1.66, but that seems like an odd aspect ratio for an american film. I would tend to think that the film would be 1.85, but maybe there is something in the history of widescreen cinema that I am not aware of. 1.85 was used by this point, but was 1.66 used for some reason? If so, do you know why, or if it was used very widely in the US? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure when flat projection was standardized to 1.85 in the U.S., but 1.66, 1.75 and 1.85 were all used by various studios in the fifties.

According to the book Widescreen Cinema by John Colton, "Paramount, Republic and RKO opted for 1.66:1; M-G-M for 1.75:1; Warners, Universal, and Columbia for 1.85:1. In April 1953 Paramount released Shane, suggesting that it be projected at 1.66:1."

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 11:24 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, that is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I am going to look for that book. I ended up running the film in 1.66, opting to show more just in case. Most of the film might have looked better in 1.85, but there were shots that looked perfect in 1.66. Thanks again, Paul.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2001 09:09 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to be aware of, especially in the early stages of "widescreen" is the original cinematography may not have been composed for widescreen. Even though Paramount recommended projecting SHANE at 1.66:1, it was photographed not with that aspect ratio in mind, but with the traditional 1.37:1. See Early Evolution from Academy to Wide Screen Ratios.

Another example is INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, which was photographed at 1.37:1 but converted to Superscope for release.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-05-2001 05:00 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is trying to get hold of 'Widescreen Cinema' then (just to be really pedantic and annoy you all) it's by John Belton, not Colton, and was published by Harvard UP in 1992. Dunno if it's still in print. Another useful book for describing changes in shooting and exhibition practices is Barry Salt, 'Film Style and Technology' (London, Starword, 1991).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: