Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hard to strike Xetron Lamp?!?!?!?!?!?

Author Topic: Hard to strike Xetron Lamp?!?!?!?!?!?
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 12:12 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having some trouble with our Xetron XH-3000 lamphouse. For the last week or so it has been taking quite a while to strike. Today it had to be ignited manually at each show. What should I check to correct this problem? Thanks.
John

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 12:53 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand/wattage of bulb is installed? How many hours are on the bulb? What amperage are you running it at? What make/model of power supply is running this lamphouse?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 12-03-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, what kind of power supply are you using? Also, what is your open circuit voltage before the lamp attempts to fire?

Your zener doide could be headed south, or the auto strike pot could be mal-adjusted. Disable auto strike and let your open circuit voltage build up to max, then see how easy the lamp fires on manual strike. If it is an easy ignition, I would recommend re-setting your auto strike, or check the zener. (if not both).

It might be a problem with the RA unit in the xetron power supply, which has given me similar indications you describe from time to time. (I never did figure out how that damn thing worked). But I can tell you this: When that power supply finally took a dump, I replaced it with a Strong High-reactance power supply. And, the problem disappeared.

Xetron did things bass ackwards, anyway.

Don't ask me why. Maybe some of the IREM guru's can tell you.

Paul

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2001 05:00 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had many calls on problems with the bulb not striking, or hard to strike, and in most cases it something as simple as a failsafe. Before you swap anything out you'll be doing yourself a big favor by cleaning out the squirrel cage and vent guards. After years of neglect dust can build up and limit the air flow which can affect the blower failsafes. Ive worked with xetron consoles and I know what a pain in the ass they can be. Good luck!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-05-2001 09:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was failsafes it would still not light manually
It is most likely the setting on the pot on the ignitor

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-05-2001 09:38 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's a possiblity... sometimes by the time you try the manual start the blower has managed to trip the failsafe... Just a thought. Of course if the lamp comes on instantly when the projector is stopped (with the douser closed) then it most likely is not a failsafe problem.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2001 12:25 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it took so long but ive got some more info. The power supply is a Xelamp-8502. The bulb was installed before I started working so I dont know what make it is but it has between 2000 and 2500 hours on it. It is running at approx. 30v and 70amp. The bulb strikes almost instantly with the projector off and switched to manual. Thanks for the help.
John

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-06-2001 02:34 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... could be a bad relay in automation... what kind of automation do you have?

Linda Learn
Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2001 12:33 PM      Profile for Linda Learn   Author's Homepage   Email Linda Learn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just had problems with the same thing.... Try checking the connections in the automation unit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: