Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Arguments for Film Done Right (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Arguments for Film Done Right
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 12:20 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you may know from reading some of my other posts, I have had problem in my booth with people doing things unprofessionaly or downright wrong. In order to get it in their heads that they should do certain things, I can't just say "because it's company policy" (althought that SHOULD be enough), or "I'm Booth Manager and I said so." I need good arguments. So, if anyone has any ideas to help me in my argument against the following, I'd appreciate it.

My 3 big beefs are:

Whiteout. I know it could cause SDDS dropout. I know it could cause 2 layers of film to stick together. I know it could flake off in the projector. But imagine this potenial argument: "If you only use it on the edge of the film, it won't cover any soundtrack. Even it it runs down to the SDDS or SRD, if you only use it for an ince, that won't cause dropout. If you make sure it is dry before you continue winding the film, it won't stick. So what if it flakes off in the projector? They get dusty anyway." So how do I deal with those arguments? (I've heard 'em all before and just resorted to "It's company policy.")

Zebra tape in the middle of the reel. Should be easy enough. The zebra tape is only supposed to be to identify reel changes. Why can't I get that in their heads? Why do they continue to use it to repair any kind of damage? (I know many of you don't use zebra tape at all. That has been argued before, and I don't want to get into it here.)

Film not touching the floor/don't touch film with bare hands. Why can't people seem to understand this. If film gets on the floor, it attracts dirt and dust, wich can interfere with the presentation and scratch the print. And fingerprints will show up on screen and also attract dirt. Seems easy enough to me. What else can I say?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 12:22 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I meant to put this in Film Handlers Forum. Could you be so kind as to move it please? thx

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 01:52 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fire somebody, it will get their attention.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 02:04 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does everyone always say that? I CANNOT FIRE ANYONE. I have no power. At my theatre, I can't even write someone up. I have to go through the GM for everything. And anyway, I'd rather not fire someone. I'd rather correct their bad habbits.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 02:13 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I think you should fire someone. (i'm kidding) Perhaps you should talk to the management above you and explain your reasoning, and tell them that better presentation will lead to a better reputation which will lead to more customers which will lead to more money. If you have the upper management behind you, then there is little argument to be had. However, if you are the "booth manager" then your word should mean something. Don't order any more zebra tape or whiteout. Direct your projectionists to this website directly. I personally am not opposed to careful bare-handed film handling, but film touching the floor is unacceptable. If your projectionists can't do film right, and refuse to learn how, then I think you need to talk to the people that can fire someone, and have it done.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 02:31 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, I agree that it would help if the upper management is behind me. But we have an old theatre. No one knows if we're going to be open much longer, especially because there is a 20 plex opening nearby in the spring. I still don't see that as an excuse to have anything other than the best presentation possible until the day we close (if we close), but many feel differently.

I never ordered whiteout. It is against company policy, and our supplier doesn't carry it. But it was at my theater when I got here, so I threw it away. I certainly won't buy it.

Unfortunately, not too many managers read our booth manual. I don't think they'd surf to this website on "their own time." But I definitely will suggest it.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 12-01-2001 02:41 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you could call it giving up, but have you considered moving to the new 20-plex in the spring?

I mean, if the everyone at your current theater is satisfied with crappy presentation and refuse to change, I'd pack my bags and go somewhere where I had a certain amount of control and could train people to do things my way. Let the other theater root in its own shit and help put it out of business. Then when they come crying to you for a job, say "No, you suck".

I'd start talking to the people in charge of the new place now, and you would probably even get to help with the install, which you mentioned you wanted to do in another thread somewhere.

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 02:44 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are spoiled.
You have zebra tape AND whiteout for the same purpose!?

Put the whiteout in your pocket everytime you see it a throw
it away. You will know where it comes from when that person complains about having to buy it all the time.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Adam on this one. If you are basically not allowed to give a shit where you are currently working, I would also recommend that you find a place that will let you do things correctly.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 03:50 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need to get your GM to delegate the authority to act to you, or to take the necessary actions himself if you indicate it is necessary. Make the request, what you hope to accomplish, and your reasoning behind it in writing. Keep a copy. If he ignores you, remember, it is his theatre and his responsibility, so its on his head. By notifying him in writing, he cannot claim that you tried to hide the problem or were remiss in your duties.

Also, jumping to the 20 screen is an excellent idea, especially if it threatens to close your theatre.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-01-2001 05:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: do any of these issues (whiteout, zebra tape, film touching floor) contribute to poor presentation quality that is visible to the audience? Or is the issue just one of company policy and the (valid) expectation that poor practices lead to poor results?

I mention this only because these problems really don't sound all that bad, especially compared to some of the poor practices that I've seen. They're all "bad form," of course, but it's possible to apply whiteout or zebra tape in such a way that they aren't visible on screen, at least for flat films. Handling film with bare hands doesn't usually cause problems _if_ the projectionist's hands are clean and touch only the edge of the film. I'm not sure how film could touch the floor and not collect dirt, but maybe it's possible if your booth floor is spotless.

If these problems actually are affecting presentation quality, I think that it might be easier to make a point of getting upset when dirt or zebra tape or whiteout causes problems which are visible on screen or audible in the soundtrack. Rather than saying "don't do this because it's bad and violates company policy," try pointing out the effects of these practices while watching a film and say something about "don't do this because it causes these problems which are visible to the audience." If your employees are causing mid-reel film damage that requires repair, find out why and get them to stop; then, zebra tape won't be a problem.

Tossing the whiteout in the trash was a good idea, though they'll probably get more from the manager's office, where there is probably a legitimate use for it. I'd suggest tossing the zebra tape and getting high-quality clear tape (Neumade or similar), but that may be idealistic in your situation.

Point out the fact that your employees need to keep presentation quality up or else your customers will definitely leave and go to the 20-plex when it opens, and thus they will all lose their jobs.

(As a side note, I'd be curious to see what your company's booth manual contains. I've only worked for one major chain and they don't [to my knowledge] have a booth manual, nor do the independents where I've worked.)

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 07:11 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Throw the white out in the bin, throw the zebra tape in the bin, you/they don't need either.

Don't get upset by projectionist' handling the film by their bare hands, unless they have been eating greasy food, you can see marks onscreen or in fact have not washed their hands, and sit back and chill! if these are your main problems then you and your projection dept are doing a good job!

Paul Harnden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 10:42 PM      Profile for Paul Harnden   Email Paul Harnden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Like I said, go to that meeting with your GM and state your concerns. I had to deal with this one dumbshit of a GM, believe me he was a winner, he believed the floor was more important than the booth. So the head projectionist and I just sat back, only did our jobs and let shit that the other projectionists created pile up. Unfortunately the GM got transferred to another theater (we later found out he became the booth manager) and the new guy was more booth conciencious (sp?). If your GM still doesn't help you out: GO TO YOUR TECH! (S)he'll most likely straighten your GM out, if not, get the hell out of there!
I agree with everyone else that it would be a good idea to try the 20-plex and leave the dumbasses to screw up everything until it closes, at least it's off of your shoulders then.
I also agree with Andy that if those three things are your only major problems, well you have a good running booth.
And if all else fails just fire them ;-)

Paul

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2001 01:41 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
You need to talk to Forrest Proctor. He is the one you need to the attention of. If you are the certifier, he and the GM are your direct superiors. You kind of work for both. I hope the helps. BTW, Forrest will be at my theatre on the 4th to start training my staff. We are theatre 637 and our direct line is (702) 361-4064. You really need to talk to him after talking with your GM. Remember not to step on your GM's toes.

------------------
Chris Duvall
General Manager
Regal Cinemas #637
Green Valley Ranch 10
Henderson, NV

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2001 05:02 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crhis said: "Remember not to step on your GM's toes"

That is exactly what I don't want to do! That is why I am going to have this meeting and see how it goes from there.

I know I posted on this thread early this morning when I got home. What happened to that post!?

I have thought about the 20 plex. But I like regal. And I like working for a large company rather than a nobody company.

Scott, my whole point in creating this thread is to ask for suggestions on creating arguments against the three things I mentioned. I know I cannot just say "because it's against company policy and is bad." You're right, that is the wrong way to go about it.

I think most customer are going to go to the all-stadium, all-digital 20 plex regardless of how good our presentation is. Wouldn't you? I would. Because of that, I think some people may not be too concerned about *flawless* presentation, but then again, perfect presentation is not their passion. It is mine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: