Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » sticky intermittent on westar 2oo1 j/3

Author Topic: sticky intermittent on westar 2oo1 j/3
Gary Martin
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2001 04:18 PM      Profile for Gary Martin   Email Gary Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
an intermittent unit on my westar is giving me trouble at one of my sites when the mech is not running you cant rack it up or down more than 5mm but when the mech is running you can move it maybe 7-8mm either way any ideas by the way this is the most interesting site and most informative site i have found on the net my wife hates it as i have spent countless hours since i was logged in looking through 1000s of posts keep up the good work

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you referring to the framing mechanism that rotates the
intermittent? It's most likely the framing mechanism,not
the intermittent itself. Does the Westar use a Century framing mech?
Some of the Westars use a Century framing mech. The parts are maybe too tight,misadjusted or something is obstructing them.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-28-2001 07:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a possability that the vertical shaft has gotten bent

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-28-2001 07:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Examine the area where the verticle shaft goes through the intermittent drive gear. It is likely that the lube that was in there has turned to goo and the thing has frozen up a bit. This should be attended to by a qualified service tech as if the shaft is not yet bent you can easily do so by improper disassembly methods.
Mark @ GTS

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-28-2001 07:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check the Key in the vertical shaft that the drive asembly is on to make sure it hasn't gotten nicked/burred/gouged

Jonathan Worthing
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2001 03:26 AM      Profile for Jonathan Worthing   Email Jonathan Worthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The intermitant drive gear( Fiber gear on vertical shaft behind fly wheel) may need lubricating. On older Westars I have seen these lock solid.

Remove the fly wheel an just have a look at the vertical shaft.

If You know how to take out an refit the intermittent, remove it & you may get the gear moving the full rack.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2001 08:03 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mathew, the Westrex Westar 2001, one of which I'm leaning on in my picture, is almost a carbon copy of the Century, the early Westar Projectors carried a plate which read 'made under licence from the Century projector company New York'. The framing mech and intermittent are different, but are cross compatible. If you fit a Century intermittent into a Westar you will not have full framing adjustment, you have to modify the intermittent carrier (I think that's right, but it's been a while since I've done this).

Garry, the most likely cause for your problem is that the sliding area of the vertical shaft has run dry. If you look at it as described above, you'll probably find it's black and sticky, or worse, red with rust. The sliding area is the section of the shaft exposed as you move the framing knob up and down. Don't be tempted to blart it it WD40 to unstick it. It will unstick it, but the dried grease and bits of shaft, rust, dirt etc, which get into the bore of the gear will form a lovely abrasive, and in no time at all you'll start to have ghosting, which no amount of shutter adjusting will get rid of, the reason being that the key and keyway in the sliding gear are now worn away, requiring a new vertical shaft assembly. What you need to is to remove the shaft and strip it down, cleaning and re-greasing thoroughly, or have an engineer visit and do this.

Point of interest. Once upon a time Westrex supplied specific lubricant for this area of the shaft, known as 'anti-fret' grease. Did Century ever do this? If so is it still available?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-29-2001 03:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always wondered what that anti fret greese was

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2001 07:37 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to change out the entire vertical shaft assembly once on my Simplex 1014. While I was at it, I cleaned the star & cam &
the framing gearing,reinstalled the intermittent & retimed & readjusted the shutter.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-29-2001 10:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys have all just learned why it is so importamt to use synthetic oils and grease!! Had it been utilized, the likely hood of this happenning in the first place would have been around 0.
Mark @ GTS

Francis Casey
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2001 09:08 PM      Profile for Francis Casey   Email Francis Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Mark , what type and brand of syn grease do you use on Century projectors ?

thanks
Francis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-01-2001 01:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Westrex 5000 specs were for the use of a molyibdinum disulpahte greese on most parts
Century greese is Vasaline (the MSD sheet states Petroleum Jelly)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: