Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dynamic of analog/digital systems

Author Topic: Dynamic of analog/digital systems
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 11:17 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

How much is the dynamic range of Dolby SR, DTS, DD, and SDDS?

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 11:27 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/motionpicture3.html
http://www.mtsu.edu/~smpte/table.html
http://www.mtsu.edu/~smpte/timeline.html

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jeffry.

Dolby Digital is more dynamic than DTS? I didn't know.

So why on DA20 specs I found 92dB?

Bye
Antonio

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-24-2001 07:01 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the full 144db is being applied to SR*D tracks. The 144db thing must be coming into play for Dolby Digital's potential to do 24-bit digital audio. However, most Dolby Digital encodings are actually done at either 16-bit or 18-bit word depths. Typically with that, you have the 20db of gain above reference just like DTS or SDDS, or even standard music CD.

If i'm not mistaken, isn't there some sort of a set of rules these digital systems follow on levels of dynamic range? 85db for the fronts and 82db for the surrounds is the standard, and the digital systems usually peak at 105db on the fronts and 102db in the surrounds (I think the LFE can peak as high as 120 if I remember my stats right).

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2001 05:43 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where that figure of 120dB for Dolby Digital came from? Hardly!

Dolby Digital, DTS and SDDS are all 16-bit systems and ALL 16-bit digital systems have a true dynamic range of about 92dB regardless of whether the manufacturer claims otherwise. The problem here is that dynamic range for digital systems is calculated differently depending on who you are and on your motives.

For example nearly all digital systems add a small amount of "dither" (a form of random noise) to allow signals to exist below the 1-bit barrier (statistically speaking). This process allows better resolution for low level signals and has been described as allowing the system to "see" signals beneath the noise. Some manufacturers then calculate the dynamic range as being the difference between largest signal and the smallest signal that can be accommodated, regardless of the noise level (giving figures typically around 96dB). This is in stark contrast to the conventional standard for dynamic range (which is universally applied to analog systems) which is the difference between the largest (unclipped) signal and the noise floor.

Furthermore, digital dynamic range figures do not take into account performance of the analog portions of the sound processor, which (except of course for Panastereo ) are usually somewhat worse than the digital part of the system.

The dynamic range of an analog SR track is primarily dictated by the film itself and the performance of the optics and pre-amplifer. It can range from downright pathetic for a filthy, scratched print using poorly aligned optics and a noisy preamp, to almost as good as digital.

The figure of 144dB does apply only to 24-bit digital systems which are not used in any of the film sound systems because of the large amount of data required, even with compression.

Dynamic range should not be confused with reference levels and headroom. 85dB is the standard reference level (first introduced by Dolby) which is used for the screen channels for both analog and digtal film sound systems. Headroom is the maximum signal level above this reference before clipping. The usually quoted headroom figures for film sound systems are 6dB for A-type, 9db for SR and 20dB for digital, however even here we do not have a clear cut comparison because analog signals can significantly exceed clipping levels for short periods without the resulting distortion being audible, whereas digital signals cannot.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President
Panalogic Corporation Pty Limited
44 Carrington Road
Castle Hill NSW 2154 Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2001 03:14 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ray!

You was very clear.
My question borned because I read on a newspaper a mail from a customer (with the comment of the director of newspaper) where he claimed that movie are too loud.
The director agreed with the customer.
So I would like to reply to the newspaper saying how much difficult is found a volume level so that 300 people get on well together AND that digital sound is more dynamic than analog one.
So I would like to write down one "number" to have a direct comparison from the two systems.
Digital dynamic is 92dB. In your opinion, generally speaking, how much can I consider for analog?

Bye
Antonio

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 03:41 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem you are referring to comes about because of the extra headroom that digital offers over analog (11dB to 14dB) which allows louder sounds to be present on the digital soundtrack. The dynamic range of digital is made up of 20dB headroom plus 72dB signal to noise ratio (=92dB).

If you really want to quote dynamic range figures for comparison rather than headroom, then SR analog would generally have about 70dB dynamic range in an average system with a reasonably clean print. (This being made up of 9dB headroom and about 61dB signal to noise).

------------------
Ray Derrick
President
Panalogic Corporation Pty Limited
44 Carrington Road
Castle Hill NSW 2154 Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 03:04 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot Ray!

Antonio

Steven Gorsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 03:55 PM      Profile for Steven Gorsky   Author's Homepage   Email Steven Gorsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,

You might want to take a look at the "Are movies to loud?" paper on the manuals page, it's near the bottom under Instructional Documents. It's very interesting reading.

Steven Gorsky

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-03-2001 04:32 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is that the article by Ioan Allen?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: