Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » My Christmas Wish - A Splicer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: My Christmas Wish - A Splicer?
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 12:10 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife wants to know what I want this year. I thought, of course, what every man needs, a splicer. Can anyone suggest some models they like, possibly in different price ranges, and why? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 01:12 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me crazy, but I like the CIR splicer. There is a huge difference between a genuine CIR and the cheap knockoffs, sometimes referred to as the "economy splicer." I've only used a Neumade once or twice, so I don't know too much about it. I think CPI has the CIR for about $300.

Serge Bosschaerts
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 01:18 PM      Profile for Serge Bosschaerts   Author's Homepage   Email Serge Bosschaerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I to like the CIR splicer.
I have a CIR 3M special and it works without problems.
The only thing you have to do with the CIR splicer is to clean the teeth and the guilotine knive on a regular basis when you use it very often.
This will keep it in top shape for years to come.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-2001 01:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh! Check out Joe's review of the CIR splicer. What a piece of crap that thing is. Get yourself a Neumade or a Strong splicer.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-23-2001 01:48 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I think you would be happier with the Neumade (35SS) splicer.

Dave, you have a wonderful wife if she would buy you a splicer!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 02:07 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well you know what they say about opinions.... I tend to disagree with Joe's review, but that's fine. If he doesn't like it, he's entitled to that. Sounds to me like you are presnting it as a fact that this splicer is crap. Every peice of equipment is a treasure to someone and junk to someone else.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-23-2001 02:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken and I agree on this one
The CIR is looked after is probably the most durable splicer made and compared to the neumade is a vastly superior peice of engineering
Never had any grief from a genuine CIR

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 02:42 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found the Neumade D-Handle splicer to be my favorite for
speed, convenience and accuracy. You pull the tape TOWARDS you,
and the handle is convenient when you have to carry it one-handed.
Keeping a piece of clear tape on the bed helps control the chads.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-23-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well both the CIR and the Neumade are pieces of crap. If ya want to get a splicer that will last a lifetime and is not made from pot metal, get the Strong! As far as I'm concerned its that or an ultrasonic plicer. None of the others should even be called a splicer..
Mark @ GTS

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-2001 03:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark's got a good point. If durability is what you are after, the Strong cannot be beat!

Gotta love spliers like the CIR that have a spring loaded cutter blade that always returns to the UP position. Safety at it's finest!

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 04:15 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve used the same genuine CIR splicer for 30 years now without any problems or change of parts, not even the blade.

Nice present to have from your wife Dave. A few years ago my wife gave me a nice surprise, I turned up at the cinema at 9am and on the office desk there was a box with happy birthday on it containing a Cat No. 222SR/A card. Within the next hour Sound Associates modified the CP55 unit and installed Dolby SR. What a present, a birthday I shall never forget.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-23-2001 05:25 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the Strong splicer, but I can recommend the Neumade model.

For something that is _really_ built like a tank, check out the Maier-Hancock (aka B&H) hot splicers. They come in 8/16 and 16/35 models and will outlast their owners. They are cement splicers, though, so each splice results in lost frames and they also won't work on polyester-base film.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 07:11 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guesss one or more projectionists would be asking Santa for what trailers & prints are needed along with booth supplies,parts&components. Someone would be asking Santa for replacement trap&gate assemblies for a Simplex XL.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 11:24 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Ciro splicer myself. They last forever.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 02:16 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen those spring loaded side cutters that always return to the up position, but mine are not like that

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: