Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Classic Theatres Atticle In USA Today....

Author Topic: Classic Theatres Atticle In USA Today....
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-23-2001 09:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the link to the article:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/travel/leisure/2001/2001-11-23-great-cinema.htm

I'd have to say I agree with most of it having been to well over two thirds of the theatres listed there.
Mark @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 10:06 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in the Arlington in Santa Barbara and it's a real treasure. The theater is breathtakingly beautiful.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-23-2001 12:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been in the lower booth of the Grand Lake...

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-23-2001 02:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed the Grand Lake is really a gem. Atop the building rests the largest electric sign in the state of California. I was there and saw the original Ghostbusters in 70mm after it was twinned. The downstairs both has a pair of nice Noerlco DP=70's and the upstairs has a pair of JJ's. I think the rest of the booths are all DP-70. The JJ's were installed upstairs as a weight consideration on the balcony floor. The main floor auditorium has a title curtain, main curtain and movable masking!!
Mark @ GTS

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 11-23-2001 03:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two smaller houses off to the side at the Grand Lake have Century SA's in their booths. I had always thought they had DP70s in the upper booth as well. Live and learn.

-Aaron

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-23-2001 05:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to see this sort of thing in the popular press, even if we can disagree about what is included in it.

My personal gripes: Where's the Byrd Theatre (Richmond, VA.)? The Cape Cinema (Dennis, MA.)? The Avon Cinema (Providence, RI.)? The Castro (San Francisco, CA.; admittedly, I haven't been there myself, but it's on my places-to-see list)? The Uptown (DC)? What about drive-ins?

Of the houses in this list, I've only been to the Senator and the Coolidge Corner, both of which I can recommend.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 06:01 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be noted that Ross Melnick and patrick Crowley from the www.cinematraeasures.org website helped put together this list.

I was surprised...not a bad list. It was good to see that it wasn't all NYC...LA...Chicago houses...just a good representative list. I thought the Villa was a surprise...I wouldn't have heard of it if Mark G. hadn't mentioned it here.

I agree with Scott about the others...if it had been a top 20, maybe they would be there.

Nice job, USA Today.

------------------
"As a moral to young men who come down to the city, don't go round breaking people's tambourines."

Scott Brewer
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2001 09:16 PM      Profile for Scott Brewer   Email Scott Brewer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I was in the Grandlake (about 2 years ago) they had 2 DP70s in the main floor booth, 2 DP70s in the upstairs booth (and yes they're heavy, I helped haul the beasts) and the new booths (one actually) had 1 DP75 and a Century C with the other screen using a Century SA. But it might have changed since then. Maybe time to visit with Stephen again......

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 12:09 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ACtually, its important to note that the article headline says "10 Great Places" and not "The Ten Best"

It even qualifies the (un-numbered list) by saying that here are SOME of their favorites (just a sampling as to what's out there.)

Glenda Cockrum
Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2001 06:55 AM      Profile for Glenda Cockrum   Email Glenda Cockrum   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Mr. Wolfe for the lovely "Roxy" being listed in this artical!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: