Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problems with rejuvenated prints.

Author Topic: Problems with rejuvenated prints.
Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 11:03 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know or have any ideas as to what caused the following problems I have experienced with imported American rejuvenated prints.

“Atlantis” - dished very badly on the first rewind (Tower spool system). Perforations appeared to be in perfect condition, however there was a very minute crease edge of perforations one side throughout. After treating with FilmGuard that covered the perforations only, projection and rewinding was perfectly smooth and flat throughout the rest of the two-week run.

“America’s Sweethearts” – 20 times throughout the film, focus would go out and back in very quickly, like as you would see in bad camera focus pulling on TV, though not overall as in one spot mostly left or right of screen. Although there were no complaints I changed the copy after the first showing.

“Message In A Bottle” – sometime ago I know, but I had poor Dolby SR analogue sound (tungsten excitors) on this copy. On examination the soundtrack appeared to be pinker than high magenta.

I have heard of problems from others a lot lately with imported prints. It must be time for an improvement with quality control.

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-12-2001 06:37 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the distributors think they are doing a good thing here. Alas, they are not. I rang Buena Vista here and asked them to start bringing in a certain amount of both Rejuvenated and non-rejuvenated prints if they were to continue dishing out second hand prints.

I told him I was using a cleaning system that could make a second hand print look like new within a couple of days but could not use it if they were already treated. He said to me: Fine, then I'll just send you the crappiest print I have. My response: Fine! So long as you haven't had it coated with that smelly crap you put on it that covers over and seals in all the dirt I would send it back to him looking like new. I also told him that he must promise to actually LOOK at the print when I'm done with it.

Somehow, I don't think he was expecting that response.

BTW, our Sweethearts reel one had the same focus problems as yours seems to have. Almost as if the treatment was too hot at times as it was coating the print and melted it in places.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2001 07:27 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

I haven’t experienced this type of focus problem on rejuvenated prints before. The copy I rejected after the first showing definitely did not look as if it was photoguarded, unless it was just ultrasonically cleaned or something.

Your line with Buena Vista was interesting, thank you for sharing that with us.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-13-2001 03:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting the crappiest untreated print would be fine if the only problem was dust. All too often, crappy prints are scratched too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: