Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Problem with Kelmar Series 7 Automation

Author Topic: Problem with Kelmar Series 7 Automation
Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2001 03:51 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't ever heard of anyone here using Kelmar Series 7 automation in their theatres, but I am hoping that someone can give me some insight into a problem I am having.

Even though they are cam/relay based, I like the Series 7. I have them on all five screens of my largest theatre. The ONLY (two) problems that I have with them are as follows:

On TWO of the the screens: When the failsafe arms are raised or lowered the houselights drop from full to half (on a Kelmar Encore dimmer). Example: End show cue is detected. Houselights are already at half for credits. Houselights go to full as expected. Film tails out, arms drop and lights drop back to half. Another example: Thread up. Lights at full. Tension is applied to take up platter pulling failsafe arms up...Lights drop to half. This problem happens about half of the time in each scenario (half of the end-shows and half of the thread ups). I haven't eplored this problem to deeply yet and was hoping that there is someone out there that may know what the problem is.

The other problem occurs on one of the screens: When the machine is started on automation the curtain doesn't raise. The curtain motor and controls are fine, but about 20% of the time the curtain will not go up and I have to run up and trigger it up manually.

Anyone have any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-11-2001 05:37 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1/2 light problem I can't guess about since the tech who installed it may have done something different than we would do. If the curtain is triggered by the cam drive via a microswitch, you should check the condition of the curtain motor control relays if they are low voltage type from Automatic Devices (ADC) or the cam trigger time to the curtain microswitch in the automation may need to be lengthen ( cam disks are plastic, spread them slightly and you can adjust them ) or you may have an intermittent problem with a microswitch in the unit.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-11-2001 08:38 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Kelmar Series 7 the same as a Maxi 7 automation?

Agree with Richard; the curtain microswitch may have an intermittent problem, or one of the wires to it are loose (they usually use crimp-on 3/16" faston connectors- I've seen bad crimps that work for many years, then stop conducting beacuse oxidation.)

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2001 09:20 PM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the curtain problem may well be that the "pulse" isn't long enough to get the curtain motor into its opening cycle. The reason I suspect this is that to get the curtain to open or close with the manual switch on the automation you have to hold the switch closed either way (open or close)for a second or two before the curtain motor starts its cycle. The automation gives the curtain motor a quick signal to open with the changeover (which I don't like since they are waterfall curtains and take too long to open). I have thought about advancing the curtain cam so that the curtain would start its travel far before the changeover opens, but haven't actually openened the automation to see if I can do it. The installation documentation only lists the following cam functions (with their follower settings):
1. CYCLE
2. HOLD #1
3. HOLD #2
4. CHANGEOVER CLOSE AT SHOW START
5. CHANGEOVER PULSE
6. HOUSE LIGHTS PULSE
7. STAGE LIGHTS PULSE

I seem to remember there being more cams than this, but cannot recall. If this is it, I assume the curtain (since it opens at changeover) would be using the same cam as CHANGEOVER PULSE??? I assume that hold #1 and hold #2 might be relays for lamphouse, projector motor???

I am going to fiddle with the automations some tomorrow morning. The half-light thing is driving me mad. It is just really odd that the failsafe microswitch is the ONLY thing that causes the lights to fall back to half, and that I only have this problem in 2 of my 5 screens. One of them does it at least every other show, and the second only does it about once per day. It is unbearably frustrating!!!

PS...john...i don't think the Maxi 7 and Kelmar 7 are the same.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-12-2001 10:12 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason I also thought it might be the microswitch is- that it had previously worked for a long time.

On some cam-operated automations, there may not be a specific cam for the curtain open or close. For example, one of the relay contacts for "C/O OPEN" also operate the curtain.

Wes Hughes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 11:39 AM      Profile for Wes Hughes   Email Wes Hughes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The automations were manufactured in September of last year...and have been giving the same problem since installation.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-12-2001 06:31 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...and have been giving the same problem since installation."

Ah! I want to say "Get the guy who installed it to finish the job.." but of course that's often easier said than done...

If you have the schematics for the Series 7 automation, could you send a copy to Brad to post? Never know when someone might need it....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: