Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Harry Potter.

Author Topic: Harry Potter.
Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 05:49 PM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone got the low-down on the dispatch of prints to theatres in the UK?

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 08:10 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out M*A*S*H* 4077!

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2001 06:00 AM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that old Willie's response went Whooooooosh right over my head.

Anyway, looks as if the Harry Potter prints are being delivered to sites today.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2001 06:30 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank

Methinks that Will refers to Colonel Potter, Commanding Officer of the 4077th MASH in the TV series from 75-83 but has mixed up the character ,Colonel Sherman T. POTTER , with the actor HARRY Morgan that played him.

Or perhaps it's something completely different

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2001 05:31 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did hear that there will be about 1000+ prints of "Harry Potter", the largest ever done for the UK.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2001 07:14 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a rumor that one cinema chain has book harry potter for 50% of its screens.

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-11-2001 06:43 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed Harry Potter is the widest ever UK relase with over 1000 prints - the norm used to be about 350, then creeping up towards 400.

We've been previewing this weekend, saturday and sunday, and every show was sold out by friday - happy days! On saturday we recorded our busiest ever day, and that's since we started at this location 6 years ago.

There was some rumour of the Star Wars episode 2 trailer being hard-locked to prints (i even heard confirmation from a fox exec), despite not being shipped with the prints in time for the previews, apparently they should be with us in time for release on the 16th! Here's hoping!

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 05:10 AM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've done well in Worthing and Reigate over the week-end but I hear that Warner are charging a very high percentage on the gross perhaps 80% !!and it's a minimum booking of 4 weeks. If it was 80% then for each £1000 of gross £175 would go to the government in value added tax and Warner would keep £660 and the cinema only gets £165!! Normally in these cases the cinema can make more money in ice cream sales but as its such a long film you need an interval to really do this. I enjoyed the film however.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2001 10:53 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to say, but 80% of the gross wouldn't set any records (and the average moviegoer wonders why popcorn costs so much!).

Tal Marks
Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2001 11:52 PM      Profile for Tal Marks   Author's Homepage   Email Tal Marks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"expect your prints to arrive this morning"... said a manager over the phone. We're opening H.P. on 6 screens and two hours later 11 prints showed up! That's 33 cans! which is 99 reels!! Talk about your back up prints! AND since we're having our little NYC yearly international shorts 35/16 film festival, there's NOT A PLATTER RING ANYWHERE! ...ahem.. excuse me. Just when you begin to calm down, they give you friday's schedule with a 9:00am Harry Potter start and a late show midnight start of 12:30am. Only In America.

---had to vent---

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: