Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector Pedestals

Author Topic: Projector Pedestals
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 04:34 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at the UA Galaxy 9 + 1 Theater Tour on the videos link of Film-Tech. Unfortunatly, I was not able to download the video on the computer I am using. Anyhow, I did notice that they have one of the Christie projector pedestals w/a Christie SLH lamphouse. This is the only place that I have seen this set up in use. Christie does not show the pedestal on the web site, but they can mail info. Anyhow, I would like to know what people think of this pedestal as compared to a Super Simplex, Ballantyne 1500/Strong 2500 and the like. Thanks!

Bye the Bye, where there ever any specific books regarding those old Simplex, Century, Ballantyne, RCA etc, etc pedestals? Does anyone have any? If so can they be posted on Film-Tech?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2001 05:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The UA Galaxy does not have any 2 piece systems. What you saw in auditoriums 1-9 was the fabulous SLC console and auditorium 10 has some old junk lamphouse that the model number fails me.

Christie does have an EXCELLENT pedestal, which has room for a power supply, 4 units of rack space, breakers, convenience outlets and just a general excellent design overall. Check 'em out!

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 06:06 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad!

I should have been a little clearer in my question. Personally, I am very much against all in one enclosed rack space for power supplies and sound gear. Yes, they do save space! But keep in mind that they can insulate heat and attract dust--which is a no no for the sound gear and power supplies--I much prefer seperate open spaces for this stuff. However, I do not see any problem with using that space for a control, circuit breaker and analog automation system. Other than my opinion regarding rack space, how is the workmanship and sheetmetal construction--design? Sorry about the mix up about the Galaxy! My eyes decieved me--I have a small pic that I cannot enlarge and I was unable to download the video. After using magnifying glasses what I saw in that pic was the sheetmetal side panel. It almost looked kike that two piece system--oops!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2001 08:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what the 4 RU of space is designed for...the automation. It is very well built and the only complaint I have is that I wish there were more knockouts in it, but for most installations what is provided is enough. Overall I recommend them highly.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 11:03 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller wrote...

quote:
...auditorium 10 has some old junk lamphouse that the model number fails me.

An old Christie CH30 or CH40, perhaps?

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 11:30 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Motiograph 1938 parts manual has info on the Motiograph pedestals.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-07-2001 03:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's it. It's a CH40. I've seen better light at the drive in too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: