Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dts on Monsters Inc.

Author Topic: dts on Monsters Inc.
Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 3 drawer system and when running M.Inc. 4 shows out of 5 the system has shut itself down and the processor goes into stereo sr. Would the "B" disc be doing this? (Brad has mentioned no need to run this disc.) Also, I have the dts trailer disc in the C drive. Would this possilbly be causing a conflict of some sort? Help me you Film Tech Gods. Thanks.
kp

|  IP: Logged

Steven Pickles
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2001 02:15 AM      Profile for Steven Pickles   Email Steven Pickles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a bad drive? Try switching the A Disc to another drive.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-03-2001 06:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a lot of genuinely defective discs lately. Try playing the A disc in another known good drive and see if it works. If it does, you have a bad drive. If it also locks up, you most likely have a defective disc. (In extremely rare instances I've found the culprit to be a bad reel.) Generally when this happens, the processor is pulsed back to SR and the "system" light stays illuminated constantly instead of flashing.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 11:30 AM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith,

Move the disc to another drive. If the problem follows the disc, get a replacement. If the problem follows the drive, replace that.

Discs do not have to in the player in any particular order. All drives are in parallel and you may place the disc in any drive in any order. Just remember to only load one feature title - do not mix movie titles.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 01:31 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really. When I am splitting shows and one of them has one disk and the other has two, I usually just stick them all in the player. That isn't OK?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 02:08 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, ever check it while the movie's running to find out? I've never seen it work myself (it won't play anything if 2 different movie discs are loaded).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-06-2001 02:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
When you load up two movies in the dts player, it has been my experience that the unit looked to drive A first and *if* there is a movie disc in there (either A or B), that that movie is the only one that will play, even if there is another movie (such as a single disc) in drive C.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-06-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

When we started "Star Wars" with Titanic disk "A" in drive C of our DTS unit, the movie started with silence...

I suggest you to follow karen's suggestion!

Bye
Antonio

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-07-2001 12:11 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it doesn't matter what order you put the discs in the drives (the discs for only one movie), then why would it automatically play whatever is in drive A if you mix titles? Why wouldn't it look for an A disc in the other drives?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-07-2001 04:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive that it poles drive a first looking for disk a if it finds it it will play it if the time code matchs up for serial number and title
If it doesn't find a disk A it poles B then C
If the wrong disk is in disk A is found it is game over

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2001 04:19 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How the story ends: Bad discs. Called TES and actually talked to a very pleasant lady who took my info and had my replacement discs in 2 days. They work fine. Thanks to all who responded with suggestions. And special kudos to TES for a pleasant surprise.
kp

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2001 05:04 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<<Called TES and actually talked to a very pleasant lady who took my info and had my replacement discs in 2 days.>>

Speaking of TES, those operators there are actually very nice and have helped me when I needed it.
I almost felt bad the last time I called to complain about something, but I realized that all I need to do is insist on speaking to someone in charge of film handling and shipping.
That way, I wouldnt have to bitch to someone who didnt deserve it.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2001 05:54 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,

Here are some steadfast rules for current DTS cinema players:

Load only ONE movie title into the player. You can load a movie disc in any drive, it doesn't matter.

After changing movie discs (changing movie titles), after new discs are loaded, cycle power on the player or hit reset button.

But never EVER load two different movie titles into one player.

One disc per drive.

If the movie is a two-disc'er, then load both the "A" and "B" discs = one disc per drive, put in any drive - it doesn't matter.

Never eject a disc or open the drive drawer when the player is playing in DTS digital, it will cause the unit to default.

Thanks, Karen

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: