Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP65 question
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 09:01 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a switch or jumper than can be thrown that will turn on all the speakers in "Mono" mode?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 09:27 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*rakes memory*

No, not on a CP65, the CP45 has 'mono enhance' which uses all the stage speakers. With a CP65 I suppose one could shimmy some diodes about on the logic card. To what end do you wnat to achieve this?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 09:45 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turning on all the stage speakers is just what I had in mind. I just want a little fuller presentation. I really didn't want to get into soldering and modifying cards. I was just hoping there was a switch or something that would give me "wide mono"

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 11-02-2001 10:09 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several people have wide mono before, and generally feel the sound loses clarity (although it does sound fuller.)

Bob Healey
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 01:43 PM      Profile for Bob Healey   Email Bob Healey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that might or might not involve soldering depending on your setup, is to insert a switch box between Center out on the CP65 and your amps. In one position the switch sends the sound to only the center amp, in the other position the switch sends the signal to whichever channels you choose.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-02-2001 03:20 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a used Kintek or Smart stereo generator.
The older Kinteks were very good and effective and the DBX expander worked well on those old compressed mono tracks
They show up on EBAY a lot

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-02-2001 06:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have the info with me but I believe that there is a selection for LCR to be active in mono and it was documented in the installation book
Or maybe my brain is just to fried

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-04-2001 09:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the logic of the CP-65s was to "inhibit" channels to turn them off...cutting the INHL and INHR diodes for the mono format will probably give you a 3-channel mono. I believe that the Cat. 242 actually comes with mono going to all three channels at the MUX chips and uses the inhibit function to kill the L and R channels.

As a side/sad note...Dolby has officially discontinued the CP-65!

This is truely the end of an era. The Cat 64 (though in their B variety now) equalizers used in the CP-65 date back to the father of the Dolby cinema processors the "E2" which was combined with the Model 364. The Cat. 64 found homes in all of the cinema processors since until the digitally based CP-500 came out in the mid 1990s. That is a pretty damn long run for a piece of electronics today...about 30 years (give or take a year). The CP-65 can really trace it's roots and signal methodology just about all the way back. It is the last Dolby cinema processor that had an open backplane (no longer allowed in some countries). Good bye old friend, you have served the industy well.

Dolby now only offers the CP-650 and the CP-45.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-04-2001 09:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is sure a case of extremes

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-05-2001 06:14 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP500 is discontinued, too? Wow. I'm surprised that Dolby doesn't seem to think that there is a substantial market for high-quality analog-only installations... (Or maybe it was the glut of used equipment that represents the real problem.)

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 06:24 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't putting the unit in Bypass send everything to LCR?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-05-2001 06:59 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP-500 is available in very limited situations such as for QC in laboratories.It was retired in favor of CP-650 and to insure a stock of parts for the existing CP-500 units in the field....
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-05-2001 09:19 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point about 'bypass'--it works that way on the CP50, but I don't remember if it does on the CP65. Still, you'd lose the EQ functionality (and, on the CP50, the fader, too).

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 03:47 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, that's excactly what I was thinking of too!

WOW No more CP65 ( I have the first two ever made in the UK under my care in Edinburgh, interesting that the basic technology can be traced back so far, and doesn't it work well!?.
The CP500 has, I believe, only been available from stock for some time now, but they kept telling us they'd make a bunch of them every so often. It would follow that the DA20 will shortly go the same way. Which means that if you bought a CP65 or CP45, or have a CP55 with the intent to do Digital later..... You gotta start all over again

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-05-2001 04:36 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Healey suggested that I put a switch in to feed L&R channels off the Center output. Would it hurt anything to just use a couple of aligator clips (or jumpers) to short the L&R output to the Center? Would it do any damage (back feed??)to any of the circuits, do you think?

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: