Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DC Motor Controls - Suggestions?

Author Topic: DC Motor Controls - Suggestions?
Matt Rockwell
Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2001 04:56 PM      Profile for Matt Rockwell   Email Matt Rockwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all-
Does anyone have any reccomendations for DC veriable speed motor controls that they find lend themselves well to use in the booth? I'm driving a 1/4hp. motor on simplex heads for our vaudville house. Analog/pot controllers are aplenty, but I'm intrested in either a preset or digital control for setting speed to adjust framerate. I just thought I'd put it out for suggestions.

------------------
Matt Rockwell
xenon wrangler / carbon master
IA #251

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-01-2001 05:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would tend to use a 3phase 3600 rpm sync motor with frequency drive controler Reliance Allen Bradley and Bodine all make very good programable ones

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2001 06:44 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of budget do you have for the project? I've had pretty good luck so far using a 90vdc Leeson controller and a variety of 90vdc motors (1/2 horse) All the electronics are on a single 5x5 pc card with a heat sink. 110vac or 220vac in and will supply up to 10 amps out at 90v. Speed is controlled by a simple pot. If I remember correctly the card and heat sink were around $135 and I buy used motors off the net for $60-$100

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Dennis Atkinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2001 07:33 PM      Profile for Dennis Atkinson   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Atkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done it both ways.
3 phase lets you use the controller as a FPS readout.
With DC, a programable tach and tach pickup is needed for a FPS readout.
Assuming you want to dial to a certain frame rate, go with 3 phase.

Now what about the shutter? Flicker is bad at 18fps without a 3 blade shutter. There are other modifications that need to be done depending on the age of the Simplex.

Dennis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: