Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » R2 Configuration (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: R2 Configuration
Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2001 08:15 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know what configuration the R2 software wants the PC to be in?
I had a slight meltdown on my laptop (ok win98 crashed and I had to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch) and for the life of me I can't remember what settings to use for memory, drivers, etc. for MS-DOS mode.
Thanks
Jon Bartow

|  IP: Logged

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2001 12:36 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon When I use the R2 I restart or start my laptop, I hold down the F8 key until a beeping sound heard, this is DOS & it will ask me what prompt....I use the # 5 key, then type in cd\thx (then type) gothx(space) vga wolla,

So to answer your question....DOS !!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-30-2001 01:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always just restart to MS dos and on the second laptop I actually have a dos partition with bootmagic that is reel does

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2001 03:34 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The laptop that I have is a "Multi-media" laptop which means that it has more bells and whistles than I really need. Unfortunately in order to operate the foolish thing and not have major hardware/driver/software problems I have to keep the original manufacturer's configuration (i.e. no extra partitions or dual boot, which is what I would really like to do).
So, under Windows 98SE if you do the "F8/Command promt only" thing at startup the R2 software doesn't act very happy on my computer. [has problems with allocating enough memory, problems loading fonts, etc]
I finnally remembered last night what I had to do to make it work.
By creating a new shortcut in Windows to a MS-DOS program with the following settings under the "program" tab:
Command Line: C:\Windows\Command.com
Working: C:\Windows
Close on Exit Checked
Under the "Advanced" button
MS-DOS mode checked
Config.sys:
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
Autoexec.bat:
SET TMP=c:\windows\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\windows\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
GOTHX VGA
WIN

With these settings it allows me to go to the R2 program from within Windows and when I'm done it askes me If I want to return to Windows or not.
If I remember correctly it was the NOEMS memory command in the config.sys that made the difference between the software misbehaving and behaving well.
If anyone wants to do this here's a shortcut: in the Windows directory there is a shortcut titled "MS-DOS Mode for Games". Make a copy of this shortcut and put it wherever you like then add the GOTHX and the WIN commands to the end of the autoexec.bat file in the shartcut properties. Then you can rename the shortcut whatever you like (THXR2 or whatever)

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2001 10:40 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, What R2 program version are you using 3.52 or 3.60 ?? Stuart since me the new 3.60 very nice program, has Ex test, several processors, except the program would lock up after 10-seconds, we tried uninstalling , installing, I had our computer expert to try, but still did not work, so we went back to 3.52 to re-certify the theatres here in Japan......but to the problem at the beginning of this thead, if I use MS-Dos, my laptop will locked up on the RT-60 test....I have to start my laptop in DOS...no problems.....the programs I have problems with is the Dolby Dras-10, & the SDDS 3.0, both will lock up the laptop at the time I need it the most....this is a new laptop, ther other three laptop did the same with these programs.....do you have any problems like this with yours ?? or is it just me !!! Thanks

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2001 01:05 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, try grabbing a copy of DRAS for Windows. It runs under Windows rather than DOS and our service techs have had zero problems running it with Windows 98SE. It is included on the Dolby Cinema Products Resouces CD in the "Current Products/Dolby Digital Readers/Reader Alignment Software" directory.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President
Panalogic Corporation Pty Limited
44 Carrington Road
Castle Hill NSW 2154
Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655
Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2001 01:27 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, will this work with the DA-20 & CP-500, I thought the window Dras was for the CP-650 only, I will be doing a 10-screen install using CP-650 in mid November in Japan, so I can try with that unit.. I haven't tried it yet with the DA-20 & CP-500, but I will give it a try next week when I to go Guam to do a service call, I will be almost in your neck of the woods....thanks for the reply...

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2001 02:39 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WinDras works with DA20, CP500 and CP650

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-31-2001 06:11 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, Pete Naples

Don, the WinDras interface looks pretty much the same as Dras-10, it just works a lot better.

------------------
Ray Derrick
President
Panalogic Corporation Pty Limited
44 Carrington Road
Castle Hill NSW 2154 Australia
Phone: 61 (0)2 9894 6655 Fax: 61 (0)2 9894 6935

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-31-2001 10:10 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don I am useing V3.60 R2 software and I use PCDos7

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-01-2001 11:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also running 3.60 and it has been rock solid on my old Toshiba 435. running Win 98 SE and I just restart in dos mode and away it goes. Never a problem, just used it on two auditoriums today and as Brad and Joe both know...its sleeping in bed next to me tonight.
Mark @ GTS

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2001 06:46 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power Book G4, Virtual PC 4.0 running PC DOS 7.0 makes it work very nice.
Before that I was forced to keep my 1994 Dell Latitude DOS 6, (450 Meg HD, 486/75 Mhz) Win 3.11 laptop alive to run the THX crash free. The newer Win 98 Dell pentium 500 MHZ always made problems.
Maybe you can run Virtual PC for Windows to get a stable, true PC DOS computer on your multimedia laptop, with Mac it works great.

Francis Casey
Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2001 08:44 AM      Profile for Francis Casey   Email Francis Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAYBE if we all cried loud enough , we could convince THX to produce a windows version of the R2 software--after all it only sends control signas to the R2 and displays the data the R2 sends back ! How hard could it be for a good windows programer to write ! This is 2001 and as much as some people dislike windows ( myself sometimes too ) windows is here to stay . So PLEASE THX guys give us a windows version of the R2 software .Anyone else care to plead with me ? Many voices make things happen !
Francis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-03-2001 09:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes but then it wouldn't run on the trusty HP200Lx palmtop

Francis Casey
Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2001 09:53 AM      Profile for Francis Casey   Email Francis Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon--point noted but since you already have it running on your HP200lx i think the point is moot .
Francis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: