Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Haunted projection rooms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Haunted projection rooms
Danny Hart
Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 08:28 AM      Profile for Danny Hart   Email Danny Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work at a cinema which really gave me the creeps. I’ve worked at a few places, but this one particular projection room freaked me out regularly. I could hear a kind of growling or snoring sound coming from a sealed-off ventilation shaft; a clock would frequently stop at 4.10am and it DID get VERY cold in certain spots, so much so that you could see your breath before you. I often showed these goings-on to managers and floor staff to back me up.

None of which bothered me very much, until I discovered an electrician had been killed in the building whilst working overnight about 40 years ago...

|  IP: Logged

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 09:09 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Danny, this is your twin brother, we sure look alike....I had the same at a 6-screen theatre I service in Houston Texas, but without the cold !! The theatre (now close due to shootings), The booth had wooden floors covered with carpet, everytime you walk the floor would creek, I be the only person in the building....as I would walk to another projector to start the PM, I would hear walking behind me (the floor creeking) I check, and no one would be there, this happen several times durning different visits working all night and alone....one night the strangest thing happen, I couldn't find a screwdriver that I know I just laid down next to me, I found it next to a different projector, I never walked into that section of the booth, when I pick up the screwdriver, I heard the floor creek beside me...whooooaaa weeee the hair on my arms stood up, the strangest feeling I had, but no one was there, the time 4 am.....at that point I called it a night, pack the tools & only did PM call in the daylight with an operator.....scared, you might say at age 37 back then....you bet !! I was never service that theatre again at night...I was glad to see it closed !!!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 11:53 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where was that Danny?? When I was in the Orient, Dunfermline, we had wierd noises late at night, and once the manager swore she saw someone cross the foyer on the CCTV, yet the building was empty and locked up, save for her and myself!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 11:58 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think every booth has a ghost. OK, maybe not really, but you know what I'm talking about. While I have never been as freaked out as you guys have, I have had some wierd things happen. I could swear I would see shadows out of the corner of my eye when there was no one in the booth. And there is something comforting about the quiet hum of all the rectifiers, even when the projectors are not running, but durring a blackout when there is no power to anything, it is downright FREAKY in the dead silence! I always run downstairs until the power comes back!

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 12:14 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When shutting up at the end of the night, I was checking the toilets which wer`e then, situated inside the theatres,having just come out of the gent`s, I noticed someone sitting in the middle row of seats, it was smoking a pipe and wore glasses, then vanished. Rushing to the booth to tell my boss, I related what I had just seen, he told me that, that was Frank, the old chief projectionist who had died from a heart attack, and swore he would haunt the place, yes he did wear glasses, and smoke a pipe.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 12:27 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Don,

Which Theatre was that in Houston? Southmore 6, Missouri City 6? or Goose Creek 6? Maybe it could go as far back as the old AMC Shamrock 6, but I forgot what part of Houston that theatre was in. Would like to try and find it next time I am that way. Those are the only theatres that I can think of off hand. Maybe I need to get a 1984 Newspaper ad for theatres in Houston to see if I can actually peg it down. Let me know as I am curoius now. Now I have heard that Walter has appeared in various places at the Paramount Theatre here in Austin since his death in the booth in May of 2000.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 03:13 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that "wonderful" picture! OK, so I'll send ya one!

Fun topic--haunted booths! The theater where I worked is only a few years old. Rumor had it that on old lady-patron-died as a result of a heart attack not soon after the theater was opened! I had never heard about this or did I ever see anything--especially since I was quite often working on the equipment deep night. But the ghost story rumor was widly circulating among the teeny-bopper floor staff, and it was fun to ocassionally mess with them! Especially since in certain areas natural occurance could be mistaken for ghosts etc, and it was fun to take advantage of the situation!

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-22-2001 04:37 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will - which theatre is that? El Con? If it's a Century Theatre -- I wanna know -- I don't wanna be counting somewhere in one of those places without any warning of ghostly happenings...

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 04:45 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say my booth is haunted, but I must admit things feel creepy when I am the only one around while locking up, the theater is dark, and I just finished running The Exorcist.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 06:23 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey William, wow I service those theatres you mention at lease once or twice, the one I was talking about was the Northwood-6, on the east side of Houston on Hwy 59 North, the theatre was built in 1977 I believe or around that date, was sold 4-times,then closed in 1995. Had too many street gangs hanging out, shooting at each other, ran off the family business (that would do it !!) it was a Dollar house when closed....but a very spooky place to be at night...one last thing, I'm coming to Dallas to do a service call soon, I'll e-mail you when I get there, I'm in Japan now....sorry Brad, I chatted when I shouldn't...won't happen again....

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 07:08 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to hear Bob Maar's haunted stories! I'm sure he has to have some! Maybe Bob can tell us about some of the stuff that was done by exhibitors in the 1950's like putting little buuzzers in the chairs during a horror flic?!

Manuel Francisco Valencia
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 09:47 PM      Profile for Manuel Francisco Valencia   Email Manuel Francisco Valencia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once heard stories about a booth that people truly believed was haunted. This was when I was with Silver Cinemas. Booth techs and district managers would tell me these stories about a haunted booth at "Shamed?" Don't know if that is how you spell it. I believe it was in Louisianna.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2001 11:09 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading a magazine article on haunted movie theatres
It mentioned six theatres in the US that are haunted.
Three particular theatres I remember are the Pacific-closed-
the Vogue-operating-& the Kimo-operating-.
The ghost of one of the four Warner Brothers resides in the Pacific
in CA. He apparently died in a hospital on the night of the first
premiere of the Jazz Singer. The Pacific's grand opening was
not on time for the the movie to premiere that night due to
unfinished remaining construction of it that went past that deadline.
At the Vogue Theatre,several years ago a projectionist had a heart
attack during a matinee when it was a changeover theatre.
Another theatre,the Kimo several years ago, was involved in a water heater explosion that killed a boy & injured seven.
The boy was running down the steps from the balcony when the water
heater under the steps exploded.

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 10-23-2001 02:41 AM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The theater I used to work at (and Anthony is still at now) is haunted. Too many things have happened to convince me so, the platter would star spinning on its own, there would be LOUD bangs throughout one of the autitoriums, the thermostat would randomly be turned down (after I had just turned it up), wierd feelings, cold spots, chairs will randomly go into the reclined position (right in front of my eyes), and alot more!

Anthony has actually walked into the theater (he was alone) and everything was off, he walked in to turn on the circut breakers in the booth and they were on! He walked out to the theater and the lights were all on....

Me and 2 other of the old employees actually have seen an outline of a man in the front of one of the autotoriums. We believe that it is the old owner of a used car dealership that was there before the theater (same building, remodeled).

Kyle Abel
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2001 02:59 AM      Profile for Kyle Abel   Author's Homepage   Email Kyle Abel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My story is along the lines of Don's. I was working late one night (isn't that how it always starts) at an 8-plex in Lewisville. I was changing out diodes at their #2 projector, which is in it's own wing of the booth. I was sitting on the floor working with my socket wrench. I put the wrench inside the console to switch out the sockets. I did not stand up, but just turned to get the new socket, and when I turned back, the wrench was gone. I tore that projector and surrounding area apart but didn't find it. A few days later I was working on the gate with a screwdriver at the same projector in the same end of the hallway. I placed the screwdriver on top of the projector, hand-tightened a screw, reached up for the screwdriver and it was gone (about 5 seconds went by). Again, I tore apart the projector and surrounding areas, but nothing. I went around the whole booth looking everywhere, then came back to the original projector half an hour later, and the screwdriver was sitting on top of the projector where I originally placed it. I was the only one in the building, so I packed up my stuff and high-tailed it out of there. I rarely go back, and when I do, I NEVER bring my own tools...

------------------
Kyle Abel
General Manager
Plano Movies 10

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: