Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best Bulbs? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best Bulbs?
Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2001 07:01 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Riddle me this. Who makes the best bulbs for the Christie lighthouses? I use 2k &3k. Need to start getting new ones and want the best I can get. Thanks.
kp

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What vintage are your Christie Lamphouses? Personally I have had better luck with Christie Bulbs in other lamphouses like Strong's and ORC's. I would highly recommend using replcement Christie lamps in your lamphouse. If cost is a big issue the cheapest bulbs are usually the Perkins-Elmer (Formerly ORC) but again personally, I had bad luck getting these to make it to there warranty period in a Strong Console.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-13-2001 07:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie lamps, hands down over all others!!!

Perkin-Elmer lamps are shit. I am seeing them literally SAG at the envelope by half life. Removing them is sad, yet borderline hilarious as to how "out of round" they become. I must post a video of this. Stay away from them, unless all that matters to you is saving money and presentation doesn't matter.

OSRAM makes a very good bulb too, which would be my second choice, but I hear horror stories about them not honoring their warranties on those rare events they do fail.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2001 07:15 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Christie it is. Brad this site rocks. Good work keeping in up.
kp

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-13-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had very good results from Christie Xenon bulbs.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2001 07:59 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My company insisted on using Perkins-Elmer bulbs in Christie SCL consoles. Was lucky to get 2500hrs out of them with proper routine maintenance for 2500Watt bulbs

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2001 04:41 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the beginning of the summer, we switched our big houses using Christie 7000 watt bulbs to Perkin-Elmer 4500 watt bulbs. Two of them were previously switched over to Christie 4500 watt bulbs and one still does until we burn out the remaining used Christie 4500 watt bulbs out then it will switch also.

The Perkin-Elmer bulbs are shit in my opinion just as Brad said.
Ive changed a few of them out at the end of their warranty life and had trouble getting them to strike.
I had to raise the power up HIGHER than we were supposed to just to get them to strike and sometimes they dont even strike by the time the film hits the screen so some of our projectionists resort to striking the lamp manually EVERY TIME they start a movie.
So now I have to worry about blowing something out due to the power running too high (like the contactor in the rectifier maybe which I've had the pleasure of changing before).

I was told after we use these up we are to change over to OSRAM bulbs for any house over 3000 watts.
We'll see how those work.

But I can tell you that I do not like the Perkin-Elmer bulbs.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2001 07:56 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about you guys in the states, but here in Japan we have Christie & Strong consoles, The LTI & Osram bulbs we are only getting 700 hrs from them (if we are lucky), Strong came over here twice to check these console & all is fine with Consoles, The Christie bulbs seem to be the one to use in both consoles....to me Christie bulbs wins hands dowm, case close !! (just my 2-cents worth)

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2001 11:55 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last theatre used all Osram bulbs with 3K and 4K Strong Highlight II consoles, and we had no problems.

Jeff Skallan
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2001 03:35 AM      Profile for Jeff Skallan   Email Jeff Skallan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been getting well over 7,000 hours using 2k Christie bulbs running them in our Neumade XCN-35 lamp consoles. Anyone have any extreme endurance records?

By the way, this forum is the coolest ever! Long Live Film-Tech!!

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2001 11:01 AM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have any experience with the Hollywood Lamps and Bulbs LTD company located out of Eau Claire, WI? They are very aggresive in the upper midwest claiming to supply many theater chains located there.

John Spare
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2001 12:09 PM      Profile for John Spare   Email John Spare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been dealing with Mark from Hollywood Lamps and Bulbs for about the last ten months. He is still trying to work out the bugs in their bulbs, but swears that he will have the best bulbs in the industry in the next couple of years.......we'll see......

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2001 05:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,

8500+ hours from a 2000 watt Christie lamp in a Christie SLC console.
4000+ hours from a 4000 watt Christie lamp in a Christie SLC console.

That's the longest record I've ever personally seen, and the light output on the screen was still excellent when they were removed. No trouble striking, no blackening and the arc was still stable. This was par for that complex, as all of the machines there got approximately the same results.

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2001 06:44 PM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My old boss pulled an Osram 1000 out of a Xetron lamp with 10,000+ hrs. It was the darkest thing I've ever seen. It was put in a coffin and hung the thing up on the booth pegboard. Any verdict on the Superior bulbs?They have some relation to the old Duro- Test if I am thinking of the right bulb.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-15-2001 07:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad- what was the oldest bulb at the Chinese? I worked there for over 2 and a half years and there were at least a couple 2K bulbs that were NEVER changed in that time, and they still looked pretty good. I assume you changed them eventually.

Christie bulbs do indeed kick much ass. Best light... especially in a Christie SLC lamphouse. And no, Christie did not pay Film-Tech to endorse them)... they really are that good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: