Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Movie Theaters in North Carolina?

Author Topic: Movie Theaters in North Carolina?
Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2001 07:01 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I'm writing for help in piecing together a puzzle. I'm searching for a
source of information on the growth of movie theaters in NorthCarolina
from 1900 - 1943. I've left messages with a number of IATSE offices in NC as well as the main headquarters in NY but haven't heard back from anyone yet.
I was wondering if you knew a projectionist or historian through the
association of movie equipment collectors who might be familar with the growth of motion picture theaters in North Carolina.
I would appreciate any information that you can offer.

Best regards,
Karen Glynn
karen_m_glynn@valkyrie.oit.duke.edu

This letter was forwarded to me by Alan Kattelle, founder of The Movie Machine Society, historian and and author of the book Home Movies <www.homemoviehistory.com> who wrote, "The attached message is from a pleasant young woman who has a masters in Library Science and last I knew was looking for a film archivist's job..."

I hope readers can help Karen with her request.--Gerard

|  IP: Logged

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-09-2001 07:05 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out www.cinematour.com Any information their is definitely a good start. I wish I had more to offer -- but unfortunately I've never travelled to the Carolinas.

If you needed Northern Calfornia history -- I could do my best.

Good luck.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 10-09-2001 08:56 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
North Carolina the only state that I had to write out my own speeding ticket, I was pulled over and the trooper handed me the ticket book and said " you write down, what I say" and I wrote my own ticket.

March-1968 Trans-Lux Inflight Cine 350 Seats Kinston NC Single Screen

June 1968 Trans-Lux Inflight Twin Charlotte,NC 2 350 seat auditoriums

September 68 Trans-Lux Inflight Cine 359 Seats - Kannapolis NC

November 68 Trans-Lux Inflight Cine High Point NC 350 Seats

January 69 Trans Lux Inflight Greensboro NC 350 Seats

All these were opened with Norelco FP 16's and later converted to 35mm

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2001 08:57 PM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shaver Sound Service has been working there for years
+1 (704) 932-7069

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 10-09-2001 09:44 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the plug, Scott, but I haven't researched NC back that far, yet.

She might be able to get some starter info from NATO, though.

If she likes to drive city directories are usually where I start, then on to newspaper ads. Both available at main libraries.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2001 12:15 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater organ societies are another place to try as well as local historical musuems/organizations.

Local commercial photographers that have been in business for a long time usually have real photographs of these old theaters in their archives.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-10-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the CAROLINA THEATRE in downtown Greensboro.
It is a historic building.

They still run movies every month or so. I have been to the site but I haven't had the chance to pay them a proper visit.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2001 08:23 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should try contacting the Theatre Historical Society. They have an archive department which has information on just about every old theatre that was ever built.
www.historictheatres.org

/Mitchell

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2001 08:47 PM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen replies:

Thanks so much for posting my query. What a network! I'll follow up the leads offered. I was hoping to find the administrative paper trail required of theater owners. I believe public entertainment establishments had to have an operating license. I would think that cities and maybe states kept track of the number of licenses as it was a revenue source. Off I go to track it down. Karen

<karen_m_glynn@valkyrie.oit.duke.edu>

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2001 09:47 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Asheville, NC we had the following theatres:

Downtown:

Plaza (razed)
Imperial (razed, 1978)
Majestic (razed)
Strand (razed)
Paramount (burned)
Fine Arts (this one is still here and under new management)

West Asheville:

Isis (bldg. is still there)

Drive-Ins: (all gone.)

Starlite Drive In Theatre
Dreamland (last to close)
The Park (Our only paved drive-in)
West Asheville Drive In (closed 1972)

Whats here now are non-descript Regals, UA's, and Carmikes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: