Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Make-up while the show is running (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Make-up while the show is running
German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 02:25 AM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've taken down a movie while the show is running but i've never tried to make up when it's running. I work in a 7 screen multiplex, all projectors are Christie P35GPS and Christie AW3R platters. I've heard that it's easy to do with speco platters. Is possible to do this in a christie platter?.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-07-2001 04:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done it, but I didn't like it and I certainly wouldn't recommend doing it. There really is no reason to risk potential damage just because someone couldn't get the print to you earlier, or just for bragging rights.

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 07:24 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
explain, please.

Do you mean that you would be makeing up the same print that you are running? SOund a little scary to me.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 08:38 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I see on my travels, it is pretty common to make up a print onto say, the middle deck while the show is running on top and bottom. Same goes for break down. All my regular services are runnign Strong Alpha or DMC platters and I've never known this practice to cause any problems with those machines. Can't speak for Christie or other makes. It's also very common to make up or break down on the non running side of a tower.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-07-2001 09:34 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say it's perfectly OK to make up or break down a print while the show is running on almost any brand of platter system.

Just remember to be careful and run the make up table SLOWLY. On certain kinds of platters (Speco comes to mind) you can blow the main fuse when you "crank" the speed control while the show is under way.

Another thing to remember when using Speco: The bottom of the decks on the Speco have metal battens on the bottom which will act like a giant fan when the deck gets up a good "head of steam". If you are running the show between the top and bottom platter, for instance, and you are breaking a print from the middle, the "fan effect" will cause the film on the bottom to get tangled; thus risking a brain wrap.

The solution is to make sure you build or break from the bottom deck or else run the break down table SLOWLY.

There are certain times in a large theatre when you pretty much have to build and break a print while another is running on the same platter. You just have to learn the peculiarities of your system and make sure you know how the proper "work arounds."

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 09:43 AM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be also made-up and packed off while screening a film on a Cinemeccancia CNR Platter.

We normally try to breakdown a print on the middle level and make up on either top or bottom.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 10:35 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A multiplex near me has Christie platters and when they find it necessary do make up or break down during projection. Their strict procedure is to always make up and check prints on a bench rewinder onto 6,000’ spools first. For breaking down onto 6,000’ spools, then the electric rewinder for packing into 2,000’ cans.

For the Tower system here (as Pete said), I can very easily make-up (always checked on 6,000’ spools first) or break down into 2,000' on the other side during a show.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-07-2001 11:06 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy to prevent that main fuse from blowing on a speco platter system the fuse must be changed from a 3 amp fuse to a 5 amp fuse in the main fuse holder at the bottom of the platter tree....once this is done there should be no more problems with fuse blowing while breaking down and running features at same time.....

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 12:11 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I'm missunderstanding, but I think German is talking about making up the same print that is currently playing. I've heard of people winding the first half onto the platter from a 6K reel then attatching the second half and having it run on to the platter while the movie is playing. Ouch.

If you are talking about making up or breaking down a different print on the same platter system while another is playing, that's no problem. I always use the bottom deck in either case because of those platter support arms that act like a fan, as Randy said. It's not just with Speco.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-07-2001 01:26 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I know about putting in a larger fuse. In fact, I put them in to just about all the Specos I have.

I just didn't mention it because if you do put a larger one in, you can potentially cause other problems. For instance, if you accidentally press two green buttons at the same time and both payout controls, for some reason, get moved into the "run" position at the same time, the current surge can casue things to start frying. You could simply require changing out the payout control card(s) or you could end up replacing one of those pushbutton switch assemblies.

If you put a 3 amp fuse in there, as recommended, you'll simply pop the fuse. If you put a 5 amp fuse in there, there is potential for trouble.

If / when I put larger fuses in the platter, I make sure to warn people about not pushing two buttons of the same color at any time. (Except for prescribed emergency procedures.)

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 02:19 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken is right. Sometimes the movie not come early then I've had to start the show 15 minutes later after I've finished the make up (it take me 30-40 minutes). I think it could be possible if 2 projectionist do a good team work, while the first is pulling the film that go to projector from platter (he must be careful and not scratch the film) when he get the tail the another one projectionist splice the second reel that lie in other platter.
Randy, I have christie platters and i guess that it is slower than speco however, if I accelerate the platters by hand, could it be damage?.
I'm just taking prevents because I know someday the movie doesn't come early.
Thanks.
German

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 03:14 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a Christie platter, there is no problem with building up and tearing down prints on the platter while a seperate print is running! But do not attempt to build up/tear down a print that is running?!
When building-up and tearing-down, common sense as well as correct procedures that have been discussed in other threads prevail!

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-07-2001 04:01 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what I have done in cases of haveing prints come late on day of show is I will put half the movie together on one plattter and finish the second half on the second platter. Then start show on time and have someone tell people as they buy tickets that there will be a brief intermission to finish build-up....stop film before run out and splice second section on....this is a lot easier and safer than what you have mentioned.....

Randy

interesting about the power surging the boards...tells me that the three amp fuse used in the payout control either is not three amps or needs to be smaller to prevent this from happening....this fuse should blow if anything above three amps is introduced.....I was told that putting a five amp fuse in the main inline power box would be fine so long as the fuses that protect the payout and the take up were not changed to a bigger fuse.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-07-2001 04:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
German, with the MUTs unplugged, stick a small screwdriver into the small hole beside the speed control and turn that trimpot fully clockwise. That will increase your speed.

On loading a film that is currently running, this is incredibly stupid. I'll admit I have done this before and why I did is beyond me. Nowadays I would much rather go into the auditorium and tell all of the customers that the print arrived late and that they can get their refunds by calling 1-800-99-FILMS. If you have to load a film that is running because someone has a gun to your head, then you must remove the belt in the MUT and have the majority of the film already on the platter (say the first 4 reels of a 7 reeler). Still though, no performance is worth the incredible risk to the print from doing this. The slightest bounce from the reel will throw your print off of the platter.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2001 05:23 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know about you all, but at the theater where I worked, Fed Ex or some other shipper --such as AZ Film Delivery delivered prints.

There were many times that they delivered prints late. Generally speaking, we received our prints between 12:00 and 3:00 on Thurs. If they had not delivered by 3:00, then our home office as well as the distributor was notified.

In my opinion, if the projectionist does not receive the print by the early afternoon proceeding opening day, then it is his/her responsibility to notify theater management, the home office (if your company has one) as well as the distributor and shipper. There should really be no valid reason (unless a major aw shit occours) for films not to be prepped and ready to go on opening day.

In any case, trying to build a print as it is running is unacceptable and is looking for trouble!

If a major aw shit occours where the print is not delivered on time, maybe the distributors and shippers should be charged for the lost revenue?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: