Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » To tree or not to tree

Author Topic: To tree or not to tree
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2001 09:25 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you thread with the soundtrack towards the platter tree, or away from it?

I was taught to the tree, both during payout and takeup, and that is the way I have taught others. But my current manager brought up an interesting point. During payout, if the soundtrack is away from the tree, the film is twisted in such a way that it is going with the direction that the platter turns, rather than against it. That way, if the tension gets too loose and the film sags for a second, it won't get caught on any knicks in the platter. Well, why would there be knicks in the platter!?!? I really don't think it makes a difference one way or there other, during payout. However, I have noticed that it seems to takup easier with the soundtrack towards the tree.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-02-2001 09:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the "Tips" section on this site for the proper way. Everyone should follow these methods... no excuses (really)!

You didn't indicate what side of the projector your platter is on, but your manager is still probably a moron

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2001 10:08 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, he's not. But anyway, they are on the operator side. At the theater I was taught at, they were on the non-op side. Why would that make a difference in the film coming off the platter? (I could see how it would make a difference as to whether the soundtrack faces towards or away from the wall).

So, I checked out the tips. Why to the tree? (As I said, that's the way I've always done it. Just wonderin why.)

Also, if the soundtrack is never supposed to be down, how are we supposed to put FilmGuard on both sides of the print? I assume that's the only exception? (Sorry brad, we won't be getting a media cleaner any time soon.)

Yes, I know I posted this in the wrong forum. Hopefully Brad will be moving it soon.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-02-2001 10:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pay-out, I thread away from the tree. Reason - it seems to be the natural way the film falls when you pull it out of the pay-out head and let it flop down.

Coming back from the projector to the take-up, sound track towards the tree. Twists seem to be more natural.

Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-03-2001 01:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer to the ideal way is based entirely upon what make/model platter you have as well as which side of the projector it is on. Also important is whether you are running the soundtrack edge of the film up or down on the platter as well as the orientation of the tree with respect to the wall/projector.

For example. Let's say you have a Christie AW3 platter on the non-operator side running soundtrack up (probably the most common senario). On a Christie, the film should be pulled from the brain with the soundtrack toward the tree to minimize the twist. Just looking at the angle of the rollers in the brain dictates this. From there the soundtrack edge should follow against the tree down to the lower roller. As the film is brought up to the top of the tree, it should be twisted so that the film is now away from the screen both to and from the projector. From there the soundtrack will already be re-oriented with the soundtrack edge against the tree so that the takeup will be with the spinning of the platter and not against it (which can cause scratching).

Let's say you have the same exact setup, but with a SPECO LP270 or LP280 platter. In this instance, the film should be brought out of the brain and to the tree with the soundtrack edge facing away from the tree. Again, this is dictated by the angle of the roller in the brain AS WELL AS the possibility of the film snagging on an outward center drop from a trailer change. From there the film should be brought to the top of the tree with the soundtrack edge away from the tree the entire time. Upon return, the soundtrack edge should be toward the tree at all times. With a SPECO LP270, running the soundtrack on the elevator away from the tree is foolish, for when running onto the top platter there is little room to twist and although many operators will argue it is a 90 degree twist either way, as the outer diameter of the film roll increases during the movie, the twist will get more extreme if soundtrack is ran away from the tree.

It all just depends Ken. You need to be specific with your equipment and setup.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2001 06:50 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's the specifics. Where I was taught we had Strong AP platters on the non-op side. The tree was facing the wall, not the projector. At my current theater, we have Teco platterson the operator side, usualy at an angle between the wall and projector. Again, I could see how the position of the platter would make a difference as to wheter the soundtrack faces the wall or away from the wall, but why would it make a difference during payout and takeup?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-03-2001 07:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many varriables.
Common sense should be followed as few twists as possible and in a straight line
If there is a twist (s) then it should be oriented so that the film will lie flat in a roller.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 10-03-2001 08:21 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, we genreally try to run the film such that only the base side is in contact with the rollers. Doesn't work for every situation, but the idea is there will be less scratching.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-03-2001 10:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't recommend that idea. Let's think about this. That assumption is that running the emulsion side of the film on the rollers will cause scratches is absolutely not true. Rollers are meant to spin, and they do. When a roller spins, the film cannot be scratched. Furthermore, even if a roller does not spin, they are all beveled inward so that only the outer edges come into contact with the film and the emulsion would still not get scratched. The only platter I've ever seen where a roller did not spin was in the brains of the old model SPECO platters, but there just isn't enough tension to matter anyway. Also, there is no way to thread a platter while maintaining the base side on the rollers without adding a ridiculous amount of twisting. Twisting of the film should be kept to a minimum. That's one of those ideas that looks great on paper, but does not work in the real world. Besides, running the emulsion side of the film on the rollers cuts down print shedding. Your rollers will stay cleaner, longer. Just take an old film that has accumulated a bit of dirt and run it over a web cleaner and look at the resulting pads. Regardless of the roller's threading pattern, the base side will always carry the dirt moreso than the emulsion. It's a nice idea in theory, but does not add up in the actual booth.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: