Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Backward Christie AW3R

Author Topic: Backward Christie AW3R
Donna Sylvester
Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 11:49 PM      Profile for Donna Sylvester   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Sylvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just installed a used Christie AW3R to replace my dinosaur Xetron. The Christie is pretty, but there is one slight problem: One of the motors makes that platter turn clockwise. The other two go counter clockwise. Anyone else ever had this problem and know how to fix it?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-28-2001 12:28 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
first thing to do is swap the reversed motor with one of the good ones. if the reversed motor runs fine and the good motor runs reversed you have either a problem with the motor control electronics or the plug for the motor in the tree is wired backwards.

If the reversed motor still runs in reverse (and the good motor runs fine in the reverse motor's position) then the plug on the reversed motor's power cord is wired backwards. Reverse the wires and things should run fine.

Good Luck.

Aaron

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 12:32 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HUH !!! No I never had that problem but what I would do is to remove the motor & try it in a know good working motor plug, if the motor is still turning the wrong way, then replace the motor, is this a new platter ?? I so the motor of course is under warranty, get a replacement....Whoooaaa weeeee That is a new one on me...I have seen projector motors & rewind motor to this but that would be a simple reversing the wires at the motor....but I never seen that with a platter....

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-28-2001 12:04 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You took your Xetron out of service? BUMMER! Those were wondeful machines. Christie Rots!

Donna Sylvester
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2001 08:06 PM      Profile for Donna Sylvester   Author's Homepage   Email Donna Sylvester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, you were right. We switched the wires on the plug and it runs the right way. How they got turned around is the mystery. BTW Paul, the Xetron is for sale. Problem with them is Neumade doesn't have parts and didn't even know the model I have existed.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-29-2001 02:10 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to be of help

-Aaron

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2001 10:36 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Aaron, Wow I forgot about that, GOOD call !! I need to put that one back into my notebook, never really had that problem before, but then all I do now is new installs when if it don't work, send for replacement....I guess I been out of the service field a little to long....Good call my friend !!

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 10-01-2001 12:21 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW -- good job Aaron. Keep that up and maybe you can convince Dave for a raise...

------------------
Scott D. Neff
"Biding My Time"

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-01-2001 02:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at two AW3R's, and on the lower deck, the pay-out heads had a severe bind or tight fit, to the point where it was almost impossible to remove them. Cleaning the inner bore of the spindle did not correct the problem. But the same pay-out head fits the other holes just fine.

I wonder if an operator used the lower decks as a step ladder.....But by looking at the spindle, there is no obvoius damage.

Any comments anyone?

Paul

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-02-2001 02:33 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the AW3 is not really that bad. It has a few mal-screwup's in design, but basically, it is a relatively straight-forward machine. But, that does not mean I like them.

Seems kind of odd. I have been in hundreds of booths, both as an engineer and a projectionist. Each booth has its own personality. If you piss off the machines, those machines will lay in the weeds waiting for a chance to strike back, and when they catch you, they will stomp all over you, pound you into the ground, and beat you to a pulp!!!!

Been there. More than once.

Paul

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-02-2001 02:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Get some 40 grit metal sandpaper and wrap a small strip around the shaft on the brain fitting too snuggly, grasp this with the palm of your hand with fair tension (do not apply high tension) and rotate the brain back and forth in your hand for a minute or two. The brain will then forever fit comfortably. This was a problem in the first few years Christie was making removable brains, but has since corrected the problem.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 10-02-2001 02:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, Brad. Appreciate it.

Paul

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-02-2001 03:56 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In working with some of the newer AW3's I have found a couple of things that can cause the brain to be difficult to insert or remove:

If you look at the "stem" casting, the part that goes down into the hole, you might find that there are some burrs along the edges of the slot that the registration pin slides into. I have used a small file to remove the burrs and make sure the surface is smooth.

Second, I have found that the registration pin, down inside the hole, comes loose which causes it to be too tight when the brain slides in. It is only peened into place. On a couple of occasions, I have found that it has fallen completely out and the brain can spin all the way around in the hole. In either case, I have taken a suitable tool like a screwdriver and a hammer and carefully tapped it back into place. You have to be careful because it is possible to overdrive the pin until it comes out the other side of the hole and causes binding of the platter deck itself.

If either of these are not the case the I would agree with Brad and suggest that the stem be smoothed by suitable means.

Having about 50 of these babies in my theatres, I'm starting to become somewhat adept at doing "Brain Surgery"!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: