Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projector Transport

Author Topic: Projector Transport
Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-25-2001 07:08 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for a way to transport a Cinemeccanica console (with Vic-5) about two feet sideways away from the port when not in use.

The projector, when at the port, sits about 6 inches from its neighboring Imax projector due to someone measuring once and cutting twice.

Does anyone know of an existing projector transporter that will work for this? Motorized or not, something like what's under the Imax projectors will do. I don't want to have to work around this console when it's only used maybe one show a day out of 10.

Castors would probably work, but I'd rather have something a little more "fixed" in place.

I need a solution quick, before the console gets wired.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-25-2001 07:29 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put the machine on casters that have the locking wheels, this way you align everything up by rolling it into position whilst running RP40, then once its all lined up, you lock the wheels, that way things can't get accidentally moved or vibrated out of place. I have seen this done a few times before with success in multi-use auditoria. (35mm projector sharing a common porthole with a followspot and video projector for example).

-Aaron

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ask Bob Maar!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-25-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam I am shocked I thought you saw the solution at cinesphere when you visited. Our reel unit was copied at several locations as a method of moving machinery
We put it on railway tracks (the same way the SR machines are tracked)

Adam Martin

- posted 09-25-2001 08:13 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, I was thinking of that on my drive home. What did that cost to do? Is your reel unit on a round rail like the projectors or a flat rail like a railroad? Is it motorized or do you use your back for that, too? Details, please! I have to quickly convince our construction guy it's worth delaying the 35mm install to make sure it's done right (and so I don't have to redo it at a later date).

Another glitch is I'm not sure I have much vertical space in the port to raise the console onto a dolly or whatever. I'll have to double check on Thursday when I go back to the site.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-25-2001 08:22 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Imax transporters generally have a V-track and a flat track, both fairly standard items. There are V-grooved casters that ride the V-track so it stays pointed the same way, and the other track is flat so it's easy to set up. It would be fairly easy to do the same with a 35 machine, so it moves sideways out of the way. With the V-track at the front it would be slightly less in the way, but I would worry about tripping over it if it's far from the wall and close to the Imax. The operator will be walking around the Imax machine a lot.
Having the unit trapped on a rail is a good idea, as there will be a known travel. Just putting it on wheels, even if you can solve the obvious alignment problems, might result in the wiring or exhaust duct being torn out as someone tries to take it too far away.
You won't need a motor if you have good wheels, but get some kind of positive locking stop in the project position.
Make sure super flexible wiring is used, often called "robotic" or "machine tool" wire for all power circuits - and welding cable for the DC leads. Standard oiltite flex conduit is also unsuitable for repeated bending, you need special stuff. The exhaust duct needs to be extra flexible too.... this all costs a bunch more than what the contractors quoted on - usually a source of friction somewhere.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-25-2001 08:31 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just thinking, some Imax ones had V-tracks, then they used a track with a hardened round bar attached to a flat bar - this tracks more accurately and rolls quite a bit more easily using the same V-roller wheels.
I think the round bar track was also a stock item from some machinery supply place.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 09:24 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what many would call crazy, but I did see it used in a physics research lab many years ago. They would move target chambers weighing several tons in one of their accelerator labs using just a little compressed air.

The equipment was located by four steel pins about one inch in diameter in the center of the mounting pads. These pins were simply unlocked and lifted out when it came time to move it. Then they put air pressure on four air-bearing pads that were under the chamber assembly. They worked the same way hovercraft do. The air forms a low friction bearing under the pad so long as it was flowing. The whole thing lifted up about one eighth inch and two people simply pushed into position. When finished, they simply stopped the air flow and the unit settled back down onto its mounting pads. Simple, elegant, and 100% positive positioning with the pins. And most important, nothing on the floor but four holes in four small steel plates mounted flush with the floor. The floor was painted concrete.

McMaster-Carr has small "air linear bearing pads" which work the same way. Follow this path: Power Transmission, Linear Motion Systems, Page 7: Linear Motion Assemblies and Air Pads. www.mcmaster.com

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 09:39 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Side periscope. two front surface mirrors. No movement required.
Be sure to mass the mirrors to prevent vibration.

2. Threaded rod, nuts, metal plate, motors. Similar design to limit switches on curtain motors. No need to re-align.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-25-2001 10:33 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a corporate project where we had multiple presentation ( Slide, 16mm,35mm,video ) we speced in recessed channel tracks on the floor in a dual set of X-Y pattern so all equipment could be used the centerline of a rear projection screen. The platforms where motorized with limit switches..........items such as camera dolly tracks and wheels from Matthews or simular could be used....or creative welding to a commercial pallet ( pump up - move - release pump and drop in position)jack.......all industrial hardware from a Grainger or like supplier...........long day, why am I still in the office
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Adam Martin

- posted 09-26-2001 05:35 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the ideas! I think Pete and Gordon have set me in the direction I really wanted to go in the first place. As cool as it would be to use compressed air (since we already have it in the booth at 120 psi), "Linear-Motion Rails and Actuators" was the technical term missing from my vocabulary. It sounds so obvious, now that I know what it's called.

I've found quite a bit of info on this now, and I'll sit down with the guys at the site tomorrow and discuss our options.

When it's all said and done, I'll return with what we chose (and some pix for the warehouse, of course).

Thanks again, and if anyone has any more ideas, let me know.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-27-2001 12:38 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you put it on a heavy, solid base and use piano casters?

That's what I've always called them, anyway. It's a pair of wheels on a small metal frame with a lip on one end and a "foot pedal" on the other. You put the lip under the thing you want to pick up and step on the foot pedal. The object is lifted up onto the wheels and locks in place under the weight because the center of gravity is between the two wheels.

When you want to move the projector you "kick-in" a couple of piano casters and roll it to the side. (Flexible conduit!)
When you want to put it back, you'd have a rectangle painted on the floor with four holes drilled into the floor at the corners. Holes in the projector base that match the ones in the floor could be used to "register" it in the same place each time. You could bend some pieces of "rebar" into a letter "L" and use them as pins.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: