Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » question for service techs

Author Topic: question for service techs
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 12:21 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did you get into the theater service positions you are in? What kind of training did you get? Where? Any recommendations for someone who might want to get into a similar position? I'd appreciate any information you might offer. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-25-2001 12:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a projectionist first... Much of the technical experience I had was gleaned from assisting and observing the service tech (Danny Eiseman) at some of the theatres I worked at as they did their work, From them I learned how to change xenons, adjust gates, etc. I have electronics and audio experience outside of the movie theatre industry, so that was a big help in understanding theatre sound, and I have learned a lot of the audio stuff on the job and from Dolby techs like Lonny Jennings, Norm Cerda, and Ken Jacquart (One of these days the boss will send me to the Dolby seminars, I promise!) Other things I have learned from doing when the 'real' tech was not available. Some things I learned from right here at Film-Tech, and other places. I became proficient enough to where I spent more time installing and repairing then projecting. The rest is history.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-25-2001 01:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked in broadcast TV in the late 70's/early 80's and always liked watching movies(over video). I started on my own by collecting films and equipment and had a home screening room about 20 plus years ago, still have one today. I got to know the local theatre supply dealer(Abbott)and in the interim had rebuilt many projectors for use at home. Started to sell some of my rebuilds and then Abbott connected me with a local sub-run theatre chain(Now Classic Cinemas). I already had extensive electronic, mechanical, and optical experience and thanks to Connie and Willis I am here today and have been doing this for close to 20 years. I had a short stint as a projectionist courtesy of Local 110 while I was at the non-union Classic Cinemas, but it was not for me. Being the technical sort of person that I am and being holed up in a booth did nothing but bore me. Plus 110 already had quite a number on lay-off at the time(it used to have over 450 members!) Getting me to "jump sides" was inappropriate in light of how many they had sitting at home(and probably still do).
This is certainly one of the most unique indusrtys in the world today and I've enjoyed being here,ad plan on being here many more years.

Aaron,
Its funny how Dan Eismann has been around. He was one of the first "west coast" people I met(through Paul Mundt) early on in the buisness. He also inspired me to build my VistaVision projector, back during the filming of Back Draft, going so far as to offer me an old main frame that he had laying around. I didn't take him up on it but still built one non the less anyway. It was first used on "Baby's Day Out" where we had two other machines plus mine. One of them was one that Danny built. Sam Chavez was also a big inspiration when he was at Dolby....Dolby will never have another Sam Chavez in their ranks, thats for sure but sad.
Mark @ GTS
P.S. Also thanks to Ben Kehe, Corky Coble, Lonnie Jennings, Cliff Anderson, Tom Watson, and many others that were mentors to me in many ways.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 04:11 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my experience from being a union projectionist in Houston with Local 279, a sound tech from Moderm Sales in Dallas came to fix a tube amp & I was amaze in what did, a year later he rebuild a Century "C" projector, I thought..."Whooooaa weeeee" this I got to learn...this was in 1973, I only been a projectionist for a couple of years, I ask him how do you go about learning to be a tech, he said learn basic electronics.....I sat in the booth for two years, read all how to do books in electronics, then attended a one course at our local college in Galveston, Texas, met the our new sound tech from RCA (Percy Young), and a tech from ASC (Bill Emerson) & they show me the ropes, in 1980 I was a full time tech working for Bill Emerson's Company in Houston, 1985 started with RCA, & now with my present company out of Arlington Texas, Universal Cinema Services....But one last note, you always still learning, something new everyday, but you keep having the same problems over & over again, booth people would said "Damn that guy is good"...well I should be, had that same problem 1,500 times !! It's been a very good field for me, I always enjoyed service work, but now I really enjoy installing new theatres, without doing service !!! My thanks to Bill Emerson (where ever you are) & to Percy Young....Thanks guys I would be where I am today without your teaching & help.....

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 04:27 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sorts of electronics courses would you recommend? Do you need an associates degree? Thanks for all of your help so far fellas.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-25-2001 04:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
I would never discourage anyone form taking any courses of any kind as long as you can apply it to every day life. What you need to learn as far as the basics of electricity and electronics can be learned(somewhat)in normal schooling. To apply this knowledge to use in repairing and installing booths is another story. My background training has always almost been on the job training. My varying backgrounds all blend into what I do now even though I didn't forsee it that way. I've held jobs in TV repair, Bench tech for Panasonic, Bench tech for Canon USA, Worked in a TV station repairing cameras and film chains, and from there went on to do what I'm doing today. I guess I'd prefer to say that it takes some experience of some type to be able to do what we do. Weather you learn it in a booth, someplace else,or on your own is irrelavent but you have to learn someplace.
MArk @ GTS

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 05:23 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

I used to have the same kinds of questions. I would work with my tech so I could learn everything I possibly could about being the best projectionist I possibly could be, and after a while I thought I might like to do what he does. So I asked the higher-ups in my company. I'm sure every company is different, but I will need an Associates Degree, so I am currently going to school for electronics. I sure hope it works out, because my job is THE reason I am currently going to school! (Although you can get hundreds of jobs, I'm sure, with an A.S. in electronics!)

Since you already have a background in electronics, I'm sure you'll do fine. And keep working with your tech.

My tech was awesome. He would not only answer any questions I had, but he would take a lot of time to explain the concepts, especially when it came to elctroncis and electricity.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 05:37 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Therein lies the problem, if you could call it that. I am currently a projectionist, and I will admit that I've gotten quite good at it, at least on our changeover system here. I unfortunately, know little about electronics, except for the bits and pieces I've picked up at my job. I work at a university, and we're a bit isolated from the industry, and we don't have a company that services our screening room. We have some engineers on staff that certainly know electronics as their background is in broadcast. Unfortunately they are busy repairing and serviceing the department's production, computer and presentation equipment. Whenever our projectors or sound equipment need work or service, I work with them, and at this point sometimes without them to get the job done. These jobs are what got me asking these questions. I have a B.A. in film studies (Communication Arts technically, I graduated from the department that employs me) and in all honesty, I am not sure how excited I would be to go to school full time for another 2 years. That is where I am coming from. I may be making a move to the twin cities are ain the coming years and will have to look for new work, so I am trying to see what my options might be. Thanks for all your help.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 06:09 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, I thought you had a background in electronics. I think I read that from the post below yours.

If you are good at self-study, which I am not, there are excellent books in the libraries and book stores about electronics. I started reading some, but they were way over my head. I figured I'd wait till I started school, since the degree is required by my company anyway.

Just learn as much as you can on the job and from this site. I've only been reading the forums for about two weeks and I've learned a lot!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-27-2001 12:59 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've got a stack of manuals about 2 feet tall in my bathroom. SERIOUSLY!

Just grab/download copies of all the manuals for the equipment and take them home to study when you're bored and stuff. It sounds stupid but I guarantee you'll be threading up the projector, or something like that, and you'll look down and see something you recognized from the manual. "Aha!", you'll think, "That's how you adjust the pad roller!"

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 01:42 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about other companies out there, but can give you sort of an overview of the requirements that Regal has for Technicians. First, time as a manager/operator, usually a couple of years worth at minimum. Second, education. Either a 2 year (Associate) in a related field (electronics, sound, etc.) or a 4 year (Bachelor) in ANY field. Next is a willingness to travel...A LOT. Technicians for Regal spend very little time at home as they are swapped out all over the country. Hope this helps in some way.

-Mike

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2001 08:01 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't think it's like they're gonna force you to move around the company all the time. My tech has been in the same place for many many years. But he does a lot of traveling within his own service area. He lives in Ft. Myers, FL, but also has theatres in Srasota and Ft. Lauderdale. So in that sense, you need to do a lot of traveling. But they pay for gas and food, so it's all good

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: