Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RGM Spats manual (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RGM Spats manual
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 04:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at the RGM Spats II manual in the manuals section of this site. It looks as if that's the automation I have in half of my theatres. But the other half have what I am assuming to be the Spats? These are the ones that use cams and levers rather than circuit boards, and there is a delay from the time you press the Start button to the time the motor starts, rather than being instantaneous. Does anyone have a manual for these older systems?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 04:57 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, does anyone know if RGM is still around, and if so what their Web site is? I heard they don't exist anymore.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-23-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I checked RGM Industries was still in business in titusville fl
There main market is marine communications equipment
THe one with the levers maybe a early simplex nts unit that was built by raven labs to do changeovers as well or one of the SPATs for changeovers and curtain functions
The Spats automations usually had a number after them to designate the version
They are a fairly simple automation and relatively easy to service

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 05:30 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it is RGM automation, not Simplex. The outside of the cabinet is basically identical to the Spats II, except the location of a few of the manual switches. If the electronic versions are called Spats II, I'm assuming the older ones are the Spats.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-23-2001 06:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI both RGM and Raven manufactured automation that is labled Simplex NTS
Anyway The units with the cam are either older or the deluxe version that allowed for curtain functions or changeovers

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 07:11 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RGM is still in business and their area code has changed recently. The phonew is 321-269-4720

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-23-2001 07:27 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to Ron Goigel....the RG in RGM.....I have customers with 20 year old SPATS units....their service is usually a relay or a lamp indicator. Ron many years ago almost bought the Simplex Projector company before Strong did the final purchase...his Titusville facility is big enough that it would have been an easy fit.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-23-2001 07:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron is also one of the gentlemen of the industry as well

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 10:05 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they do marine equipment now? (I found their Web site.) Do they still support their automation and sound systems?

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 09:00 PM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Ron was doing marine instrumentation years ago; I don’t know if he still does automation and sound stuff though. I have all of the documentation on the automations RGM sold if you need something let me know what theatre the equiment is in.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 09:36 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freddie,

I need the manual for their early automation - the one that uses cams & levers to time the curtains, etc.... I am asuming this is called SPATS, since the SPATS II is the one with the curcuit boards. My theatre is about half and half on SPATS and SPATS II. The SPATS II is in the Manuals section of this site, but SPATS isn't. thx!!

BTW, RGM's Web site mentions absolutely not a thing about theatre equipment.

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 11:56 AM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

What you are looking for is a Spatts I,is it rack mounted or wall mounted? If it is rack mounted does it have 3 sync control switches on the left hand side?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 05:37 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is wall mounted in the blue-green box, like the sound system.

Speaking of rack mounted, electronically speaking, are the units the same? I ocassionaly visit theatres that have the rack mounted units with the three sync switches, but I don't know if they are I or II. The only RGM automation manual on this site is the wall mounted SPATS II.

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 09:23 PM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Good question, if its rack mounted with the switches it is more than likely a spats II. The boards are different but the operation is basics are the same, that brings me to this. The manual I have is a accumulative of the differences from the past years, you will see 3 or 4 of the same page that will have a minor change on it. It's not the original page by page; it's the schematics etc...

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 10:41 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweetness. How can I obtain this manual of which you speak?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: