Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » TA-10 Missing Shut-down cues

Author Topic: TA-10 Missing Shut-down cues
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-22-2001 08:04 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully, someone might have an answer.

1. Cue detector (FM-35) sees and registers the cue.
2. Automation unit (TA-10) relay sees the cue, and closes.
3. Howevever, the automation does not start to cycle.
4. Interface to the daughter board appears ok.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-22-2001 08:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried cycling power to the TA10?

are any other relays in the cycle stuck?

-Aaron

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 08:41 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would try swapping the relay with a known good one from another function first, Then try swapping out the daughter board for another if you have another close by. I have found these automations to be basically bulletproof, but the FM-35's have given a few headaches. If the relay clicks the Fm-35 is probably fine though. One other quick test you could try would be to try jumping across the two little yellow twisted wires on the contacts of the relay in question. A quick jump across the contacts should trigger the stop cycle. If it works, swap the relay. If not, I'd be looking at the daughterboard.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-22-2001 09:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Relay closure (Q-1) normal. Continunity ok.
Rebooting TA-10 does not correct it. (Supposedly this malfunction is a warrenty job, but so far, no action has been taken by the installer). I have to believe this never worked from Day One. Problem was present the very first night I ran a "shakedown" cruise.

I did note that the DIP switches were completely different in settings from another automation that works correctly. I reset those dip switches to match an automation that does work. The automation wiring is standardized in all three houses.

I'll report back at the end of this show set to let you all know if DIP switch settings corrected the problem.

Since this modem is sharing the credit card reader, I won't be able to download the TA-10 manual - takes too long. Besides, this computer POS here in the theater does not have adobe installed.

Paul

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-22-2001 11:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem solved. Poor programming by the equipment installer. DIP switches not set properly.

Paul

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 02:35 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damned installers can be a pain in the ass can't they Paul?

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 07:07 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one more reason why they're called "dip" switches!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-23-2001 06:56 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your problem is already solved, but it's worth mentioning that the way a TA-10 is programmed is by installing jumpers (diodes) between different places on the main board. If they aren't installed properly, or have intermittent connections (poor solder joints) you'll have irratic operation.

The idea of how to program a TA-10 is a little bit funky at first but once you get the hang of it, it's a lot like programming a "Battleship Board" automation.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-24-2001 08:04 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick and John, you can bet your rear end on that one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: