Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christe platters AW3 vs AW3R (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christe platters AW3 vs AW3R
Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 05:05 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello folks. Riddle me this, is there any difference between a Christe AW3 and AW3R, and if so will the tweaking platters section in the tips area work for both? Thanks.
keith p

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-22-2001 05:10 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AW3 is the fixed (Bolted down) brains, AW3R is removeable brains. Thats the only difference.

Aaron

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 05:16 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Aaron, good to know. Have a good one.
kp

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 10:07 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, the AW3, if you have an old manule that dates back to 1977,78 do not use the timing procedure, I found that version was wrong, I tried several years ago to timed the platters using that manule & was wrong, I talked to a friend who instructed me the correct way & been doing that since !! When I was at your theatre with Scott to do the retrofit, I didn't notice any manuals....but if you need any help on timing & adjusting the LED's, e-mail me at Dons@goucs.com & I will walk you though if you need it....

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 09-22-2001 10:24 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use Brad's methods for timing. A little tweeking afterwards and things are SO MUCH BETTER. Ignore the Christie manual unless you enjoy picking up launched prints from the floor.

Aaron

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-23-2001 01:36 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had any problems with Christie's recommendations. It only seemed that everybody else did, but I was fine.

The only thing about Brad's way of timing them that leaves me somewhat worried, is releasing the tension on the feed-control fork. I still go into my old theatre (timed by Aaron, Brad's way) -- and I find the platters are still spinning once a film has tailed out. But I suppose that's a small quibble to have, but still.

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 09:49 PM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Use Brad's methods for timing. A little tweeking afterwards and things are SO MUCH BETTER. Ignore the Christie manual unless you enjoy picking up launched prints from the floor."

Another thing about the Christie manuals that burned me was you could pick up 3 different manuals and get 3 different ways to do it.

OK, I'll byte what is "Brads way"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-24-2001 10:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott/Aaron, if the platters are still turning at the end of a show, the spring tension is just a bit too loose. The arm should make it's way back to 0% when the film runs through.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 09-24-2001 10:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Freddie:

Go to the 'Tweeking Christie Platters' section of the 'Tips' link here. It's all there.

-Aaron

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 05:05 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys, here's my 2-cents...on the AW3 if the platter still turns a little, I found the LED to be bad almost everytime, even though the LED ohms were adjusted to 70K, the LED can still be bad, replace it, adjust the ohms to 70K...all works properly, if that doesn't fix the problem check to see the light vane is not rubbing the sensor, if not then check the spring action, & if that don't work, get a SPECO Platter !!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 12:12 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that SPECO have the 'plug and play' convenience that Christie platters do not have. The question is, what can Christie platters do (once tweaked) that SPECO platters cannot?

BTW, I've been thinking of writing a review for the Kinoton IR payouts units...I just need a digital camera for the pictures.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 09-25-2001 12:32 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>what can Christie platters do (once tweaked) that SPECO platters cannot?<<

Such as? Please elaborate.

Brad: I think the main reason the feed control arm doesn't automatically zero is more of a gravity problem (platter is not level) more than anything. I will be there today to have a look at it.

-Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-25-2001 01:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone had any problems with the AW3 pay-out heads damabing the film on payout? Seems as though the three spools have alot of tension on them, and pull themselves into each other. I see a possible disaster here with dirt buildup on these spools that couyod be hammered into the film. Scratching and buffing of the the digital tracks could be possible if one of the spools do not turn freely.

Looks like the AW3 has too much contact with the film.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-25-2001 01:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, just remove the tension spring. This should be done on all AW3 platters. I don't know why Christie still sends them out from the factory this way. Instructions to do this are in the FilmGuard instructions and I believe it is on the Christie tips page too.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-25-2001 03:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brad. I'll yank those springs as soon as I can.

Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: