Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lamphouse Problems

Author Topic: Lamphouse Problems
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 02:57 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping somebody here could suggest possible solutions to these problems we're having.
One of our lamphouses will occasionally trip the breaker when we hit 'start'. We replaced the breaker with a new one but that did not help. The diodes checked out good as well. Any suggestions?
Now in our second lamphouse, after replacing the bulb, it is striking very hard. It will occasionally flash with a "whoomp" sound (like a flame blowing out, but fairly loud) while trying to strike.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Oh and they are L.P. Associates.
-Matt

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-22-2001 03:04 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you have spark gap problems in your ignitor. Check this unit for connections also since some L.P. associates units use a quick disconnect plug for control that could be corroded. the boost circuit in some L.P. rectifiers can cause problems. L.P is in Los Angeles, in the Hollywood area, if you need parts.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2001 07:51 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar problem with a Kneisley Xenex-2000 lamp. The arc was trying to strike between the negative end of the bulb and the reflector frame. This was cured by using their teflon negative reflector fitting, instead of the original metal one.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-23-2001 07:59 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes the kniesleys did have a problem with arcing onto the frame...at the old theater I used to work at we had four of these lamphouses....we had to make sure that the connection cable was not to close to the frame when we installed a new bulb....they also had a hard time striking when hot....the tech at the time remedied that problem by replacing the existing ignighter with one ment for a strong lamphouse....never had a problem after that....

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2001 09:42 PM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont know where the tesla is in the LP but you might want to inspect it for arcing to the frame...

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2001 01:26 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice! We opened up the lamphouse to discover the lead was just touching the reflector and melting away nicely... D'oh!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: