Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lab Mistake?

Author Topic: Lab Mistake?
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2001 06:36 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a new one...
We received a print (#3) of Better Than Sex just 5 hours before the invitational screening. To make a long story short, apparently reels 3 and 4 were labeled wrong by the lab. I double checked the reels before it shipped out and found that there were reference frames and they did match the heads/tails and there were no other splices apart from a lab splice mid-reel 3 in the middle of a scene.
Apparently whoever had run this film before us knew of the problem but the only tell-tale sign was some old scotch tape with the reel numbers barely holding the leaders down. Reel 4 with the piece of tape that read "3" and vice-versa.
Have any of you heard of such a thing happening before? My only other thought was that possibly the lab may have reversed the A/B rolls of Reel 4 (because that's when, I'm told, a mistake became most apparent).

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 12:16 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When received our print of "O", the attached trailer was spliced incorrectly by the lab. Apparently, the print had been shipped out a year before, but was recalled because of school violence, so the attached trailer had to be changed by the lab.

It didn't help that two reels were mislabeled & many reel breaks are in total darkness. On top of that, for a flat print, you could almost show another framed feature from the picture above & below the correct framing. It was really annoying to have to change the framing every twenty minutes & recheck it every five because you don't know whether the framing was totally centered.

That's why it pays to watch the film before the opening date. You can get your ass up early & fix all of the problems.

------------------
http://www.mullerfamilytheatres.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-22-2001 01:03 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt, please make a posting in the Feature Info forum for the specifics of this print and especially the possibility of reels 3 and 4 being mixed up. If you can, make a note of which reel is the shorter one (reel 3 or 4) to help others determine the correct way it should be.

Darn those ID frames!!!

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 01:41 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, we always build and run the films before they open. In this case the print arrived after the theatre opened the day it played...cest la vie.
Brad, I'll do a print report from memory as, unfortunately, I only examined the print closely after-the-fact. I was not the projectionist that day, but I was in the booth quite a bit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: