Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » solarcell preamp specs

Author Topic: solarcell preamp specs
Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2001 03:34 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, what are the specs of the output signal of the solarcells? And preamp used?
What kind of pre-amp (input sensitivity, current, ...) should I use to amplify this signal properly?
I'm asking this because I'm thinking about building some solarcell preamplifier myself (just for the fun of it, at least for now)
I've already searched the forum, but I didn't found a clear answer.

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2001 05:29 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Build yourself an amplifier with an input sensitivity of -60db that has a 60-70 db gain with a flat frequency responce. In effect, a good microphone preamp. The cell has basically the same output characteristics as a microphone and you want to get the output level up to +4dbm or +8 dbm ...a 1 vpp signal into a 600 ohm load. There are some inexpensive preamp chips that'll do the trick very well.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2001 06:53 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A solar cell is basically a current output device, not a voltage output. It achieves its lowest distortion working into very low impedance loads on the order of a short. (Unfortunately, this produces very little voltage which a standard preamp needs in order to work.) Typically, the input impedance on solar cell preamps is 1500 Ohms or less. But even this is still quite high compared to what the cell would like to see. The problem with conventional circuits is that if you load the cell too much then there is little signal with which to work, and you have to increase the gain which increases noise. It is a definite tradeoff to get things just right.

The best results are usually obtained with a virtual earth input circuit, such as that used in the Panastereo preamp, where the cell is connected directly to the inverting input of the opamp. This lets the cell deliver current into this input while producing very little voltage, and thus keeping distortion low.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 10:09 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
would a preamp with an inputsensitivity of 0,2-2 mV do? amplifier factor adjustable from 150 to 1500 times. frequency range 50Hz-20kHz

>>It achieves its lowest distortion working into very low impedance loads on the order of a short.

If I understand this correctly: should the input sensitivity be as small as possible? (in this case 0,2 mV?)
But why does the manual of the SMART730D says that it's input sensitivity is 10mV audio for full output?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-22-2001 10:24 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another device that makes a good preamp is the transonductance amplifiers when configured as a current to voltage converter.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: