Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where to cut these ad trailers?

Author Topic: Where to cut these ad trailers?
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2001 11:15 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad has some excellent info on how to find the frame line on which to cut on trailers from various distributors in the Tips section of the site. But I need some help on where to cut paid-for ads. I work for Regal Cinemas and we are currently running an ad called Foundation For a Better Life "Umpire." I made a missplice today. I am always super careful and rarely have missplices in previews, but those darn ads! Can anyone offer tips on finding the frame lines? thx.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-20-2001 11:35 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, the easiest way to find a frame line is to find one known frame line as close as possible to the area you are splicing in. Then, if you have an old projector sprocket, take that thing and mark it with shoe polish or something like that every four teeth.

Then, put one of those marks in alignment with the known frame line, and roll the sprocket between your thumb and fore fingers until you get to where you want to go. The line you painted on the sprocket is now where the frame line is supposed to be.

When you find this works, label the sprocket "Ye Olde Frame Line Finder"

Paul

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-20-2001 11:40 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got an idea a while ago:
I was in an old shut down theatre a while ago and we found a whole butt load of old parts, including a bunch of old sprockets.

I was thinking that one of those old sprockets could be made into a makeshift frame counter by sticking a long carriage bolt through the hole and using some nuts and washers to hold it on there. Then you can fix it to the bench or somehow make a base for it. Paint some lines on the sprocket to coincide with the frame lines and viola!

Next time I get over to the place where I can get my hands on those parts I'm going to try it. I'll let y'all know how it works.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-21-2001 01:53 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, you'll never leave home without that old sprocket in your pocket.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2001 03:08 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I did is i got an old 35 foot leader (a new one works good too) and I taped it onto my buildup table with clear tape. That way I have about 3-4 feet of frame lines I can easily check with.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-21-2001 03:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Those advertisement trailers are no harder to find a frame line on than a regular trailer. The tip is to save ALL of the black lead in and out. Find the "2" or whatever the last mark is on the theater and then cut right there on the frame line. That guarantees you an in-frame cut AND preserves the audio track which is ahead of the picture. For the end, just roll through the ad and into the black. Save all frames right up to the "FINISH" mark, or the first frame of "tail leader garbage" and cut right there on the frame line.

I have never had a need for a frame counter nor strip of film to cut trailers in frame when doing it in this manner. It saves a lot of time and makes the show nicer with a quick pause in between each advertisement.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2001 10:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I cut one of our policy trailers out of frame! I remember there being a line in the middle of the black. I thought this was a frame line. Was I wrong? Or did I just miss the line? I have not had any problems whatsoever cutting trailers; just ads, and now the policy.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-10-2001 11:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul;

I don't have much room to keep a sprocket in my pocket with all the other stuff I already have stuffed into my pants!

However, I rigged up this little doo-dad just like Paul said.

I've been going around to all my theatres (who need one) and installing them. They should have NO reason to miss a splice, anymore... unless they seriously F*** something up!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: