Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » periodic hum in soundtrack

Author Topic: periodic hum in soundtrack
Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2001 08:38 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there,

I have a weird hum that fades in and out of the sound from one of the projectors in a changeover system. I have Dolby reverse scan led heads running into a newly installed Dolby CP 650. The hum didn't seem to appear instantly with the new processor, but has reared its very ugly head in the last few shows. It fades in then fades out. It is usually present for only a few seconds then fades out for inconsistent amounts of time. ANy ideas on what this might be? Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Joe Beres

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-18-2001 08:54 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What frequency is the hum? 60Hz? 90Hz? 120Hz? or is it more of a 'growling' or 'rumbling' sound (almost always caused by the optical reader picking up DTS timecode)

Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-18-2001 08:57 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a lateral guide roller going askew, if you are running the analog soundtrack.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2001 08:59 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
by ear, i would say its around 60Hz, but i haven't had a chance to run too many tests yet. the screening room doubles as a classroom during the day. i'm hoping to get a bit of advice in hopes of having more information to go on when i get a chance to check into things a bit further.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2001 09:50 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stray light hitting the cell can cause hum, but it is unlikely with reverse scan readers. You didn't mention if it is there only with film running or not.If not is it present in other formats? If it is only there with film running, is it on both machines? You might as well check the easy stuff first and run some Buzz Track and confirm the lateral alignment on both machines, as this can definitely cause a weird noise that fades in and out.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be bad wiring in an amplifier or speaker. I'd run the Buzz track first to see if the soundhead is properly alligned, but check the connections of all of your speaker posts/plugs too.

It might be some interfearance from the projector motor, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a B chain problem.

Christopher Duvall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 01:30 AM      Profile for Christopher Duvall   Email Christopher Duvall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have flourescent bulbs in your booth? If you do, they "strobe" at about 60 times a second. That could account for the 60Hz hum you are hearing. Just a thought...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-22-2001 01:34 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
see if you can establish a pattern. Could be an electrical load unbalance, and you could see a ground loop hum because of the load shifting for one reason or another.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-22-2001 09:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Flourecnet light hum will be 120 hz as the lamps switch on and off on each zero crossing produceing 120 pulse per second (one for each half wave). That makes a easy way to tell if it is induced or ground loop that will be 60 Hz or room light which will be 120 Hz Perfs being scanned is 96 Hz

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 12:08 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all of your ehlp. it turns out that paul was right. some minor adjustments to the lateral guide roller solved the problem.

joe

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: