Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Time Code.

Author Topic: DTS Time Code.
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-18-2001 12:48 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After looking at the pin-out of the DB connector for the DTS reader head, pin 1 is TC in from Projector. (I presume that is what is being sent to the processor from the reader head).

Now I see that pin 4 is SMPTE Time code out. My question is, "What the hell is that signal supposed to be?" Is it a comparison signal? Is the actual comparison of the DTS time code track with what is encoded on the DTS disk?

Pin 9 is supposed to be "TC Present" LED drive signal out. (Now, that one I think I can understand. )

Ok, guys, I am primarly an ANALog dude. Scott Norwood, can you explain what these signals are actually doing? I also noticed that on the RS422 connector (DCP I/O (P10A & B) there is a signal TXB (- and +) [hi and lo] and RXB - & +. Being an old vacuum tube man, can you or anyone explain to me in idiot terms, what this "transmit" and "Receive" (if that is what it is implying) means?

I am on Film-Tech to learn, and maybe Scott, Joe, and Brad and many others who grew up in the digital age can explain some of this stuff to me, where I might be able to understand it.

As technology increases, It is leaving me in the dust. HELP!

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-18-2001 05:56 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm not an expert on this, but here's the basic stuff: serial communication requires, at minimum, three pins. These would be TX (transmit), RX (receive), and ground. Annoyingly, the pinouts of various serial devices vary widely among various types of equipment. Other signals that may be carried over a serial line include DTR (data terminal ready) and DCD (data carrier detect) and such, but aren't necessary for basic communication. DTS is probably using some of the "extra" pins to carry additiional oddball data for its proprietary system.

Maybe Karen can provide better details.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-18-2001 08:41 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS time code is very similar to SMPTE time code that is used for editing and many other things. A DTS player can be configured to lock to SMPTE rather than DTS time code

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2001 12:05 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS Timecode connector:

Pin 1 is timecode from reader at Proj 1
Pin 2 is timecode from reader at Proj 2 (when used and IF DTS player programmed for 2 projectors)
Pin 3 is serial data from a remote terminal to the DTS player
Pin 4 is serial data from the DTS player to a remote terminal
Pin 5 is +5VDC supply from player to reader(s)
Pin 6 is ground
Pin 7 is ground
Pin 8 is ground
Pin 9 is LED drive signal to reader(s

All DTS reader heads read DTS timecode only. SMPTE, when used, is supplied instead of DTS timecode and is fed directly into the players (no readers used).

When looking at timecode with the naked eye, DTS timecode looks very much like SMPTE. DTS timecode is very different from SMPTE and is unique to DTS.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: