Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Service interruption (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Service interruption
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2001 01:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the interruption. We're back.

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2001 02:09 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you had used a Mac, it never would have happened. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

What happened?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-12-2001 02:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Mac server crashed. What a P.O.S.!!!

Actually the phone company was hooking up new lines in the area and proceeded to chop our T1. This is only the 3rd time in 6 months that this has happened. (The "Film-Tech down" page you were seeing last night and this morning was coming from Scott's computer in his apartment.)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-12-2001 04:18 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Phone Company Strikes again!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2001 07:02 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad it's back up. I was starting to have withdrawal symptoms.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-12-2001 08:10 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I saw Boston Baked Beans on that page.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-13-2001 04:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out the damn Apple Mac OS X server crashed on the evening of 9-12-01. I told Brad to stay away from Macs, but noooooooo. Now he will take me seriously when I say that Macs have trouble even turning on, much less running a web site in which dozens of people visit each month.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2001 06:11 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whooooaaaa Weeeeee....I'm doing the happy dance, glad to see back up & running, I'm in Japan, can't speak the language, can't read Japanese, no American TV, only thing to look for in life over here is Film-Tech !! Hummmmm maybe I need a new life !! Thanks guys

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-13-2001 06:18 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok! That has about done it. I am with Evans, with the exception that I can not stand the withdrawal pains. What a week! Ouch! It hurts a lot. Enough! I need a drink! Maybe 5 or more. No Film-Tech?
God forbid......Thank God you are back. I will even be nice to

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-13-2001 07:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doing a little bit more research, it appears that it was the extensive amount of jokes from Bob Maar that caused the server's motherboard to get fried. We are now running off of Brad's desktop PC (e-mail me if you want the password to hack into it) with all of the old data.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2001 07:25 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it might have been more that everybody pounding on their keyboards and desks while laughing sent shockwaves back through the wires and disconnected the T1.

I had to stop reading Bob's jokes because the sides of my hands were getting sore.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2001 08:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a good time, Brad, for you to stop having Joe Redifer do your phone service work for you.

I'm glad you are back too. After what happened Tuesday, I'm glad we are all here.

Bruce

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2001 09:33 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film-Tech isn't the only site that has been having trouble. Ever since the New York/Washington tragedy on Friday, many sites and services have become problematic. Just this afternoon, even my little Huntsville-Decatur Theatre Information site was having trouble loading. The problem wasn't with my ISP, but with Network Solutions with whom I registered my hsvmovies.com domain. If I used the physical URL, the site popped right up, but hsvmovies.com would take a long time to jump over, or would show a "Not found" error.

The Sep. 11 tragedy has put tremendous strain on the internet and is causing many side effects (delays, load failures, loss of services) here and there. I'm being very patient with all internet-related sites and such that I utilize from day to day, knowing that there will be occasional delays or failures. Putting up with these is nothing compared to what rescue workers, families of missing people, and standed travelers have been going through. On a normal day before Sep. 11, if Film-Tech didn't load, I probably would have gotten more impatient about it, but the past few days, it was like "Film-Tech didn't come up. Oh well, I guess I'll check the news pages for further developments on New York." A national tragedy certainly puts things in perspective.

God Bless All!

Evans

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2001 11:26 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem, not only last night, but the night of the 11th, too. When I tried to access every major website, the URL couldn't be found. Yet when I had tried it earlier on my other computor, I could reach every page just fine!

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-13-2001 11:45 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah - Even when FT got back on line, I still got Scott's page saying
it was still down. Well, thanks to Ken layton's recommendation to purge the cache, I got back on. Must have been a rottin' cookie maybe? Hell, I don't know.

Evans, me too.

Brad, what the hell is a T1 line? Josh asked me the same question, and I didn't have an intellegient answer for him.

Paul

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: