Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xetron lamphouses eating bulbs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Xetron lamphouses eating bulbs
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-08-2001 02:04 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a problem at a theatre that is going through xenon bulbs like candy and I can't figure out what's going on.

The lamphouses are Xetrons (XH, I believe. The blue ones.) The rectifiers are IREMs. We are burning 2000 watt bulbs, mostly Christie but our warehouse people have been sending us these ones from LTI. (Strong?) We should be getting 1500+ hours out of a bulb but it's rare that we get one to last 500 hours. Some are even failing at 100 hours.

When a bulb fails, it usually turns all black inside and the metal ends turn black and blue. Once in a while it will degass itself and fail all at once. Other times it will work well for a while but then gradually blacken until it's useless. To me, these are classic signs of the bulb overheating, right?

All the the blower and exhaust fans have been checked and they are all working. As a matter of fact, one of the things we did was clean out all the dust bunnies in the fans and ducts. I don't think there's a problem with air flow, anyway.

I was at the theatre myself just a week ago and I personally checked all the current and voltage readings. They are all burning at anywhere between 70 and 75 amps. All the voltages are reading 25 to 26 volts. This was one of the first things I checked when I got there.

Another thing I have been thinking is that the bulbs aren't focused/aligned properly in the lamphouse. I understand Xetrons are picky about this due to the reflector design. The way I hear it, the aspherical reflector will bounce a hot spot back onto the bulb if it's not set correctly. I just had them double check for focus and they tell me that it's right. Is there any truth to this? If so, what's the secret?

Finally, I have heard that these lamphouses may be picky about the brand of xenon bulb they use. From experience, I know that CFS consoles don't like ORC bulbs but work well with Christies. I don't see why this wouldn't be true. I have also spoken to people who have managed that theatre in the past and they all seem to agree that Osram bulbs work well in these lamphouses. What's your experience with this?

I just went through the manual to this lamphouse and there isn't anything specific about this. At this point I'm just about out of ideas. What else can you tell me?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Haglund
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2001 02:26 AM      Profile for Jonathan Haglund   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Haglund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Xetron lamp houses (XH series) are fairly happy with Christie, Osram, and PerkinElmer(?) lamps. I generally run the lamps around the range you mentioned. Something that was suggested to me recently in regards to a different problem is current resistance in the bulb. If the bulb is resisting, it will be feeding a lot of heat to the negative end, which is close and tightly bound to the reflector in the XH, which could then be causing this heat spot bounce back.

Is this a new problem? If so, what changed recently? Someone bang the lamp house real hard running through the booth and knock something loose inside?

As for air flow, does the roof exhaust feel strong enough? It needs to be 300-400cfm I think, and you may have enough air to get the interlock up but not enough to properly vent. I had that problem on one of my XH's and found the vent on the ceiling black and practically on. A direct lamp house mounted exhaust is the way I went, your mileage may vary.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2001 02:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, could you clarify if the bulbs dying are Christies or are ALL of them LTI bulbs? LTI sent some bulbs down for demo and a 3K EXPLODED just sitting on the shelf in it's wrapper. No joke.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-08-2001 02:50 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are using Christies right now. We just got a shipment of the LTI and they don't work any better. I will file that explosion data in the back of my mind, though. To look at them, they don't seem any better than an ORC, and we all know what kind of quality those are!

I've only been at this for a year now so I don't know the entire history of this booth, but from what I hear this has been a problem that crops up from time to time. It just seems to have gotten worse since the beginning of the summer.

I was thinking about an exhaust blower right on top of the lamphouse, too. Kind of used as a booster, right? The way I figure it, you can (almost) never have too much air, eh? I'm beginning to thing that I'm going to have to go back there and climb up on the roof and inspect the exhaust systems myself.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-08-2001 08:15 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very importent: What is the CFM airflow of the lamphouse?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-08-2001 10:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have Christie's buring in Xetron consoles with no problems...I have heard NO good reports on the LTIs. Incidentally...We have also had no problems with Perks in the CFS consoles either.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2001 05:57 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this problem at one of our theatres. Turned out one of the projection (usher) staff was forgetting to turn on the exhaust fan. Is there any sail-switch protection that prevents the lamp from being turned on unless the exhaust fan is running?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-08-2001 06:31 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, sounds like an exhaust problem. Are the ends of the bulbs discoloring? If so, check your internal blowers as well as your stack. A possibily does exist some doofus may have bypassed your interlocks.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-08-2001 07:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at the theatre right now. Went up to the roof and it's all good up there. Exhaust is all working and drawing well.

On the other hand, the blower on top of the reflector housing doesn't seem to be too healthy. It runs but doesn't seem to be drawing well. Just enough to trip the paddle. (There isn't a paddle in the roof exhaust duct.)

I'm hoping it's just a case of dust bunnies, still. I plan to take the whole blower apart and clean the heck out of it and give it a little bit of oil. (Which I'm sure it hasn't had in a long time.)

One other thing. There is a half circle shaped cutout in the rear flange of the reflector. Does that have to be facing in a certain direction? I imagine it's supposed to be facing up so as to capture the air stream from the blower and allow it to go down the length of the lamp, for cooling. Is this right? If so, the cutout is facing to the side. If this isn't right, I'll just rotate the reflector and reposition it.

Yes, Paul, the metal ends are discoloring. My first instinct was too much heat but they convinved me that all the blowers were working... which they APPEARED to be at first look but now it seems to me that it realy IS the problem.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 09-08-2001 07:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, your bulb is overheating. Discoloring of the metal ends are a dead give-away. Probable causes are the bulb is being driven too hard, or the airflow is severely lacking. Someone told me once that the discoloration of the metal ends of the bulb defaulted at 440 degrees F. (Good by warrenty...)

Paul

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-08-2001 11:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy is the flat plate on that seals the back of the mirror assembly. That is what forces the ariflow out around the mirror vortex and on some models under the front plenum and up on the anode

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-08-2001 11:30 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's there. I had to take it off to look up, into the fan to see if it was running. If I take it off I can feel the rush of air out the hole. When it's on, there's barely enough to pull the paddle and close the switch. When it comes off, there is suddenly enough air going through the tube to trip the paddle when the cover comes off.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2001 03:52 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to STRONGLY disagree. I have had nothing but good experiences with LTI lamps. IMHO they provide the best light output of any other lamp ive uses (Osram, PerkinElmer, Christie/Ushio)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-09-2001 09:41 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, do you know the apx year the lamphouse was made? Also, you might check to see exactly what model it is since most of their stand-alone lamphouse models (not consoles) are blue. (The model/ser no. plate is on the lamp front- nonoperating side). We had an XH lamp about 20 years ago that had cooling problems right from the factory. They made several different modifications over the years to correct it, some more successful than others.

The basic design is a squirrel-cage blower mounted in the rear where the XYZ adjustments are. The airflow blows down into a plenum to cool the rear; turns right at the bottom of the bulb holder assembly. The air then is supposed to blow up, out of a hole (next to the front bulb support) in the front to cool the bulb. A tube (actually square-shaped) channels the air to the bulb connection in front.

Some models had the safety vane switch mounted on the blower intake; some in the plenum. Some drew in air from the nonoperating side of the lamp; some from the back. Some had one fan (on the plenum); some had two (plenum and stack) some had three fans (plenum, stack and bulb front.) Some had a heat filter in front (which restricted air into the lamphouse) some did not.

Did the problem just start, or has it always had this problem? Perhaps the Dayton blower(s) are shutting down when no one notices (the thermal-safety cutoff switch inside the blower.)

Are the correct bulb adapters being used? Perhaps a wrong adapter is installed, positioning the bulb too far forward (or back)?

I don't think the half-circle cutout is related to cooling; IIRC, it's to allow the assembly person to remove the fixture that positions the reflector inside the similarly shaped holder. Also, on some reflectors, there are only three mounting screws, so it can't be rotated to some 90' positions.

And the CFM should be measured; can't go by feel.

Or, just call Xetron; I'm sure they have even better suggestions, and a record of suggested post-manufacture modifications.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-09-2001 12:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know the exact model number. I won't be able to take another trip to that theatre for a few days, at least.

It's just started happening worse in the last three months or so, but they tell me that these lamphouses have always been hard on bulbs.

It has the cooling intake on the rear of the unit, just above the control switches. The proof paddle is inside the duct, just behind the grating. There are heat filters inside the snoot.

We were up on the roof, yesterday and we took the covers off the exhaust fans. They are all working and the belts have just been recently replaced.

I don't have an air flow meter but I used the standard measuring device that I always use... I pull the pipe off the top of the lamphouse and push it aside. Then I hold something that makes smoke... (light a match and then blow it out or some cigarette smoke or whatever)... about 2 feet away from the end of the tube, at an angle. The smoke will be immediately sucked up the tube, in a straight line. It passes the test with power to spare, actually.

I just think the blower on top of the plenum is getting tired. It's probably got dust down in the bearings. They did a cleanout of the pipe in the back, recently and I imagine that some of the dust got knocked loose and went down in. I'm sure they weren't running too healthy before that, though.

Do all models have the air comming out of the tube at the bottom? (I call it the "foot" because it's roughly foot shaped.) The air is supposed to come out of that square tube, hit the front wall of the lamphouse and then swirl up around the front end of the lamp, right? Well, no air comes out of that tube even though the fan is running. I wonder if it's clogged?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: