Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Complicated threading path

Author Topic: Complicated threading path
Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2001 03:13 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the use of step ladders or an extremely vertically enhanced member of staff would be essential for lacing this beast!!

Oh and have you seen the size of that extended play DTS disk

And look it runs changeovers!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-06-2001 03:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Humorous, but impossible. Check the digital delay offsets and you will see this can not be done in the particular order in which the readers are stacked. In particular, dts can not possibly take that much delay offset. On a Century JJ the absolute highest it can be placed is on top of an SRD or SDDS reader with a direct bypass through the mag penthouse. Here it is on top. Even if everything else was bypassed, there would still be too much delay, but even doing that would defeat the benefit of a digital backup.

Other points...

Look at the wasted frames in between the SRD and SDDS readers. That cheezy door should have been removed and the film should have been threaded straight down from one reader to the next never returning to the 70mm rollers, for there was no reason to go back over to the left.

I don't think that the SDDS2000 model can perform quite that much delay, but it might. Regardless, from the changeover masters I have spoken to on this, using this model reader in a changeover setup commands that it have the lowest offset possible due to it's buffer...and that's definitely way too much delay.

Also, clearly these readers were mounted in order of weight. The CDS reader pictured does not have the bypass rollers installed, so this prevents bypassing the film through (or technically "around") that penthouse. Since the CDS reader has such an incredible amount of drag to it and is very rough on film, you would most certainly NOT want to thread anything through it except for an actual CDS print. However, since it is SOOOOOO heavy, mounting it on the top is not very ideal due to the high center of gravity that would accompany it. (In other words, it would cause the entire machine to shake if the film was not platter-fed to the projector, which would be visible on screen.)

Also, none of this even takes into account the fact that a couple of these readers are improperly threaded resulting in digital failures and scratched film. But of course that doesn't matter either because no one bothered to hook up the cabling to the readers!

Finally, where's the 70mm dts reader?

Good thing this is obviously a joke, for that tech who set this up would be looking for a new job. Below is a more realistic approach I set up last year, but again the problem here is the top heavy weight of the CDS reader. This layout could handle a 6000 foot reel of film, does not require such a ridiculous amount of height in the booth to pull off and it did work, which Joe and Dwayne can attest to. (Note the 70mm dts reader above the changeover that utilized the cat 701 70mm bypass rollers to feed the film into the mag penthouse.)

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2001 04:04 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Brad you sussed it . This model has the new internal stealth wiring which feeds the microwave link incorporated in the upper spool box door . This transmits the audio data back to a satellite up link point which then bounces the signal feeds via one of Boeing's satellites to other cinemas simultaneously running interlocked mute prints of the same movie thus removing the need for expensive multiple sound readers on every projector.

This simultaneously satisfies the demands of the proponents of and film stock manufacturers !!

My God Nurse what did you put in my medication !!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-06-2001 04:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha! I had to put on my X-ray vision glasses in order to see through the upper magazine's door, but now I see that wiring you are talking about. For a minute there I thought you were going to feed me some baloney about NASA being involved or some such other ridiculous nonsense.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-02-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2644 days since the last post.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 12-02-2008 04:17 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was this really almost eight years ago now? This setup was put together by Dion Hanson, at that time with Dolby, for display at an exhibition at a small studio, Grip House Studios, near Greenford in West London. Not only was the stack of readers unusable, it was not even self-supporting, there was quite a bit of additional metalwork behind to help support it. The projector, I think it's a Gaumont model in spite of being fitted with a Simplex spool box, was supplied by the Projected Picture Trust, as was the RCA mag penthouse.

The PPT had other equipment on display, including a Kalee 20 or 21 with carbon arc which was in use.

Somebody else was demonstrating Vistavision with a very faded reel of an 8-perf print of 'Battle of the River Plate. The Vista demonstration was my reason for going to the show, and even faded, and without sound, it was still impressive.

It was basically a trade show, but other people were admitted. Arri had a large display, including the 765 65mm camera, and in the main hall where the Vista and 70mm projectors were there was also an early Hughes-JVC digital projector.

Quite an interesting show.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-02-2008 06:13 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should post a pic of my UCI Kinotons when running DTS.. [Smile] No where near as bad as the two shown in this thread, but still a bit unusual.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2008 07:07 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an excellent attempt at creating the "universal sound projector"!

Everything from Vita-Phone to 3 types of Digital and Mag with Optical. Even has Carbon Arc.
KEN [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-02-2008 08:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This model has the new internal stealth wiring
Yes, and I know of at least several theater managers that use that DTS feature to know well in advance when the district manager is going to show up...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: