Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » ORC M1000 nose lock ?

Author Topic: ORC M1000 nose lock ?
Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2001 09:18 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me if the key lock on the flip-up nose on the ORC M1000 lamphouses are all keyed the same or is each one different?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2001 01:05 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe they were keyed alike.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2001 02:47 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every one I've ever seen uses the same key, as do Strong consoles, lamps etc and Cinemecannica.

However I once had to replace the lock on a ORCON 1000B and the key is different to others.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-06-2001 07:25 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those key-locks have different keys, but the lamphouse manufacturer will usually specify which particular key they want, to match ones already in the field.

Side note: Does anyone actually lock and remove the keys for lamphouses? On every lamp I've seen, the keys are just left in the lock, which sort of defeats the purpose... but I'm glad because I don't feel like looking for them.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2001 12:30 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, generally my customers remove the keys, therefore I carry a Strong key, a Cinemec key and an ORC key on my car/toolkit/house etc keyring.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2001 09:23 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info. When I got the first lamp there were no keys. I had to take the front off and remove the lock from the rear side. It's a pain, but not to difficult. The local locksmith made a set of keys for me. I was hoping they would work in the second lamp, they don't. I guess I'll have to take the second one apart and have the lock fixed or re-keyed. That's the project for this weekend.

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2001 06:16 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having keys made by a locksmith cost more than the lamphouse is worth

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2001 06:33 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Daryl brought this topic back to the top, I'll tell you what I found. The microswitch in the nose was jammed against the lock lever. It wouldn't move so the lock couldn't rotate. I just had to reposition the microswitch a little and take off a few rough edges.

The locks are keyed the same and the lock itself works fine. The first M1000 I got didn't have keys. I had keys made for it. Ten dollars total for three keys. I didn't think that was a bad price. I know, some people think the M1000 lamps aren't even worth ten bucks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: