Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dialogue leakage in surrounds...help!!!

Author Topic: Dialogue leakage in surrounds...help!!!
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2001 01:02 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a strange problem with (excessive) leakage in the surround channels in Dolby A/SR modes. It was suggested that the problem lies either with the azimuth of the soundhead or an imbalance in the levels between left and right channels. I found that the preamp settings were slightly out, but nothing drastic.

Oddly enough, the same problem exists with both projectors (on the same processor), and they have both recently had A-chain alignments done. Therefore, I am thinking that the problem lies with the processor side of things.

I made up a test roll consisting of a few film ads and trailers and ran these through both projectors with similar results. Then, I took the same roll of film to another auditorium with the same model processor (Panastereo CSP-1200) and the results were perfect - absolutely zero dialogue in the surround channels.

Logically, the problem is in the processor somewhere...but which card(s)/section? Thanks...

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-03-2001 02:26 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the projector's A-chain is properly set and the preamps are correctly adjusted for Dolby Level, the next culprit is likely to be the surround delay time. There should be some delay between the screen and surround channels for the surround effect to function properly. As I am unfamiliar with Panastereo units, I am sure that Gordon or one of the other PanaGurus can assist with setting this adjustment.

Aaron

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-03-2001 02:34 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Aaron pretty much right: It's most likely either A-chain or surround delay. Can you measure the crosstalk from the optical cell with LR buzz track? Since the A-chain was recently done, I'd suspect that first.

If you have a replacement preamp card, I'd try that, too. Although, I don't know much about Panastereo either.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-03-2001 05:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would try swapping the matrix decoder between the two units to see if the problem moves. I kinda doubt if it is the delay section.

Look at the SPI LEDs on the matrix decoder...the surround ones are the yellow ones at the bottom of the card....if you see them ghosting as the dialogue plays, then it is coming out of the decoder that way. Since you say it happens on both A and SR noise reduciton (different cards between the two) I would rule them out for causing a phase problem.

Again, since you have two units...it is a simple matter of swapping the cards to find the culprit.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-03-2001 09:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the back plane I had a case where the little switch for delay defeat had been switched to bypass for the delay
Also check the soundhead alignment since it appears the problem showed up after the alignment it is probably the culprit
thread up some cat 69 and see how much of it is leaking

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2001 10:27 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried adjusting the surround delay setting but I didn't hear much difference...I will look for that delay defeat switch on the back that Gordon mentioned and try that again.

I'll try swapping the matrix decoder boards between the two units as Steve suggested and take it from there. Thanks again!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2001 02:48 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to everyone for their input. Everyone's suggestion was absolutely valid, but Gordon McLeod got it - it was the surround delay bypass switch, left on after the B-chain was completed. Also, the soundhead alignment has been re-checked, just to be on the safe side.

I must also add that it's a great privilege to have the designer of your sound processor personally come and do an A/B chain!

By the way, Gordon, Ray Derrick says hello...

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2001 04:05 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is almost certain that the L & R channels aren't set up to equal sound volume. We don't have (yet) a dolby decoder, but are using a cheap decoder (for home use). We are using a mixer to amplify the signal coming from the solarcell. If I listen to the surround channel true a headset while changing the gain of one of the inputs I can hear the voices. When put in the right stand all that remains of the voices are sounds as if someone is, well, let's discribe it as talking in a bathroom far away. You can't hear what they say!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: