Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Goldberg large split reels

Author Topic: Goldberg large split reels
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2001 05:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone purchased any of Goldberg's 24 inch split reels? I just purchased a pair and the internal "stopping point" for when the reels screw snugly together is set much narrower than they should be. In fact, when a core is placed on it, it is the CORE that stops the reels from screwing together. This is a glaring defect, for the film is just ever so wider than the core (maybe not even 1/2 of a millimeter) and screwing the reels together until they tighten snugly means that the first 100 feet or so of the film will get it's edges damaged, or there will be a tightly wound roll of film that does not touch the core! When I tighten the reels to where they just barely start to show resistance, the reels fall apart once winding has commenced! No combination of tension as the flanges are screwed together will work.

These reels I purchased were sitting at a dealer's warehouse for a few years before I bought them, so I am wondering if anyone knows if Goldberg has corrected this glaring defect in the design yet? Right now these are completely useless as anything other than decoration.

|  IP: Logged

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 07:56 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,
I have a couple of 24" Goldberg split reels. Mine close tight and leave room for the core to wiggle. It's not jammed with the reel screwed on. I bought both brand new about a year ago.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2001 09:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be a rubber O ring that fits on the threaded section to increase the spaceing

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2001 09:19 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There is, Gord.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 10:12 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the rubber was compressed and kept compressed until it squoze out of shape? Can you find a fresh one or use something else?

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2001 11:07 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try using a core with a thinner inner ring of plastic. There are some cores that have an extra thick inner edge and do not fit all split reels.

You can also try filing the split reel's index pin.

This topic was also discussed on AMIA-L in 2001 March.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2001 12:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you be a bit more specific with the link?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-02-2001 01:24 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, Brad. The first several messages are what you're looking for.
Cores & wind direction

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2001 02:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, nothing there matches this problem. I am speaking of the outer edges of the core, not the "spokes" of the core where the registration pin would fit in. The core slides onto the back flange and lines up effortlessly. This is a problem with the two flanges screwing together too far so that I'm ending up with a split reel designed for 33mm or 34mm film. Make sense?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-02-2001 09:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like either the rubber ring shrunk or the flange was machined to short
Add another o ring

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-02-2001 10:19 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, can you simply return it? It soulds like one of the brass threaded centers was made wrong. Otherwise, you'll have to try to fit a sort of washer in there somehow. Or, something like; put silver solder on the threads to prevent the two halfs completely threading together

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-03-2001 07:49 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it was me I would return it. Goldberg is basically a sheet metal shop and contract manufacturer and in the past few years the cinema portion of their production is minor so quality control may be slipping. We buy our splits from another source.
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-23-2001 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am closing this thread so that it may be continued under a more appropriate titled thread:

"Goldberg customer service...wait, WHAT CUSTOMER SERVICE???"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: