Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Houselight's

Author Topic: Houselight's
Paul Pardue
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 06:06 PM      Profile for Paul Pardue   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Pardue   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a survey:
When do you think the house lights should do their thing:

1. At the very start of the projector (i.e. when the start button is pressed)
2. After trailers but before the feature (i.e. half lights durring trailers, full-down after feature starts)
3. When ever you feel like (or remember to) turn them off
4. Never, patrons must watch the film with full lights
5. Always, the lights shouldv never go up.

Also, what about the credits, should there be half-light durring credits, or full-down

|  IP: Logged

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 06:40 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very common method among large chains is the following:
House Lights:
%100 with no film running (i.e. slides)
%100 during ads (on film: Paid advertisements)
%50-60 during trailers
%0-10 during feature
%50-60 during credits
Aisle lights:
%100 for all excepts the feature
%50-60 for feature

This of course requires an automation system that can handle several different cues as well as at least a 3 position dimmer for house lights.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 06:59 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
100% on between shows
50% during trailers
0-10% at splice between last trailer and THX trailer, policy trailer, or main feature.
50% during closing credits unless there is an image on the screen
100% on at end of show.
100% if show goes down for any reason
Tivoli isle lights should always be on so that they are clearly visible but not too bright to where they are a distraction (insurance/safety issues--CYA!)

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-31-2001 09:23 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run on my 4-stage dimmers...

100% between shows
70% during slides
70% during film ads
20% during trailers
0% during feature (cued to go to black as the first frame of the policy hits the screen, not during the policy)
20% after credits have established themselves

In a couple of our older screens we have only full/pre/off on the dimmers. For this I have adjusted the dimmers to have full at 70% which then makes the show run like this...

70% between shows
70% during slides
70% during film ads
20% during trailers
0% during policy and feature (cued to go to black as the first frame of the policy hits the screen, not during the policy)
20% after credits have established themselves

For additional comments relating to this, search in this forum for 'House Light Cues'.

----------------------

"There's so much I don't know about Astro-Physics. Wish I'd read that book by that wheel-chair guy" - Homer Simpson.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-31-2001 11:33 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We found it better to not to have one dimmer and lower all lights to some percentage, etc.

Most of our theaters have at least two different circuits; one for side lights that point at the side walls, and another for center lighting (ceiling mounted- pointing straight down.)

No light on the screen at any time because of the dreaded slide advertising;
Full center and side during intermission;
The side lights only during trailers and credits;
All off during feature.

Side note: We were sued recently by an elderly woman who fell while leaving during credits (she broke her wrist.) Although that theater (stadium seating) had full working asile lights, the jury found that "asile lights alone are not sufficent."

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 05:42 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our university cinema it is something like:
before show 100%
adverts/trailers approx 50%
show 0% (lights go down during the certificate)
credits 100%

this is done by hand so the level for the ads/trailers is estimated by eye.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 10:37 AM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
House lights off, before any action on screen, ads, tral`rs whatever, only the old ice cream trailers had house lights on.

Bob Peticolas
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 05:11 PM      Profile for Bob Peticolas   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our houselights are on three dimmers: one for the front of house (next to the screen), second for middle of house, and the last for the back of the house (where the entrance/exits are and the cafe seating).

Prior to film start they are all on at about 80% (Full on is kinda stark and we like a little atomosphere.)

Before starting the film, we dim the front lights, then the middle lights. This gives people time to settle in and get ready for the film.

After fading the non-synch music, we start the projector and dim the back lights. By the time the projector is up to speed, the lights are out and we open the shutter. (We thread with about three seconds of black before the beginning of the program.)

At the start of the end credits, we watch for people getting up. As soon as the first people are on their feet, we bring the back lights up to about 70%. But only the back lights. This gives people at the cafe seating plenty of light to exit without killing themselves, while allowing the "credit watchers" to watch without washing out the screen. After the last of the credits, the middle and front lights are brought up to 100%. This is "get out" light .

After cleaning, the house is brought back down to 80% and we are ready for the next showing.

Of course, this is all based on manual dimmers and manual projector operation. (The only automation we have is a timer to run the lamp fans and ventilation blowers for twenty minutes after the lamp is turned off and fail safes on the film movement.)

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 11:49 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the lights should never fully light the theater. They should be lit, but only to a level where the customers can find their seats & the ushers can clean. So that would be my idea of 100%.

Between Shows: 100%
Trailers: 50%
At the digital sound snipe or feature start: 20%
At credits: 75-100%

Our auditoriums have dim wall lights & red curtains lining the walls, so it's a very dark "movie house" type of feel. The overnight cleaners (who vacum the stuff out from behind the stadium seats) have flourescent lights to light the entire house brightly for cleaning or service.

------------------
http://www.mullerfamilytheatres.com

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2001 03:26 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ideally, the lights should be down for the ENTIRE show, including trailers. If the lights have to stay partway up at some point, I don't mind too much if they are up during the trailers since they're not part of the actual movie and therefore people coming in during these at least won't miss the beginning of the movie. I really don't see any reason to have them come up for the end credits though; I feel like that's telling people it's OK to leave when of course it really isn't- I've never understood people who leave during credits. As far as safety issues go, there should always be enough ambient light to find your way in and out of the theater at any time, but of course not where it distracts from the picture. If lights do have to come up for the credits, I prefer to keep it consistent by not having them go down at the beginning at least until the studio logo is onscreen. It doesn't make sense to have them go all the way down for a Dolby trailer but have them come up at the end credits!
Of course, what REALLY bugs me about bringing the lights up at the credits is the potential for the cue tape to intrude into the presentation, either by showing up on the screen or making the Dolby Digital drop out or the picture shift to the side. I've had the endings of several movies ruined by things like this; sadly not many people I've worked with have cared enough about this (I'm always EXTREMELY careful whenever I have to put lights-up cues so the audience can't tell they're there.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: