Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Converting a Cat 280 SR to a Cat 280T SR (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Converting a Cat 280 SR to a Cat 280T SR
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-31-2001 04:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my memory serves me correctly in this matter it involves installing a resistor on the CAT 280. Does anyone remember what value and where on the Cat 280 and or any other mods that had to be done?
Thsnks,
MArk @ GTS

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 12:03 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't be of any help here, but I'm just wondering, what is the difference between a 280 and 280T? Is it just that the 280 can be used for recording and playback but the 280T for playback only?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-01-2001 08:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is any difference at all except that the 280T has something added to lock it into playback mode. If my memory serves me correctly plugging it into a 50 or 200 will not automatically put it in playback, but I may be wrong here.
MArk

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2001 03:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is even more minor than that. On some of the various card frames within the Dolby empire, not having a Cat. 280T can cause greef due to the resistor Mark mentioned. Certainly Ken could enlighten us.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ken Jacquart
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2001 04:53 PM      Profile for Ken Jacquart   Author's Homepage   Email Ken Jacquart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay here's the deal...

On the Cat 280T card, there is a space for a tiny jumper labeled J801. A Cat 280 card comes with this jumper in place. It is located directly next to the letter "A" on the edge connector, but actually completes a path out to pin "1" directly on the other side of the edge connector. The problem is, if you plug the card in to an appropriate cinema processor after you have installed this jumper, it will remain in record mode due to the fact that pin 1 is kept high. If the modified card is to be used in a Model 364 frame, there are a few resistor issues, but I won't go there for now...

ken

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2001 05:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ken!
Something definately did not sound right in this theatre. That is what I suspected as they bought these 280T's from a local Pro Audio company. Will be there later this week so I'll check them. The odd thing is that this is a CP-50 with alot of upgrades and it also has a 113C automation interface card. When you run in what should be format 05 it sounds pretty good. In format 04 which is where I always run a CP-50 with 280T's it sounds strange. Does the 113C card do this switching without removing the jumper? No need to delve into the 364 here.
Mark @ GTS

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2001 10:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
Here is what I found on the cards. Both are very early cards. One is SN 3 308 and mthere is no place for a jumper by pin A. However there is a jumper from T to the hole right below T on this card. Could this be doing the same thing as having the jumper at A?

On the second card which is SN 17 856 there is a jumper at A which I will remove.

Apparently some minor changes were made to the CAT 280 cards after the first few hundred made. If possible can you fill me in on this?
Thanks,
Mark @ GTS

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2001 12:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had some time this morning and ohmed out the traces on both cards. One card, the earlier one has a slightly different layout. But the spot for the jumper is there. It is just rotated 90 degrees and slightly above the pin A position so looking at it is a bit confusing. So as it turns out one card had the jumper and the other one did not. Both now have no jumper, and I have marked them as 280T cards. Sound is now also great running in format 04.
Mark @ GTS

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2001 07:46 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a stupid question that I'm sure I once knew the answer to: What is the correct position for that little switch on the 280T's when used in a SRA5. Is it different when using them directly in a 200 or CP-50?

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-09-2001 01:38 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the answer is....

It doesn't make a damn bit of difference in theatre appliciations!

Steve

------------------

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2001 11:56 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve!

-Rick!-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-10-2001 09:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, Whats that I'm looking at on your collar? That is a wierd shot!
Mark @ GTS

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2001 09:36 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Collar??? I thought you were looking at his butt!

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-11-2001 12:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Film-Tech Drink photos from ShoWest 2001, Mark is looking at my shoes...Mark lets face it...you are just too damn nosy...keep your eyes on your own body. People are starting to talk

Actually, I'm wondering why that photo was chosen (not by me, btw)...I look rather beat!

Steve

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-11-2001 03:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you didn't like the other photo of you, remember? I'll post it here to embarass you anyway.

(Now we all know why you hate platters. )

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: