Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Century G-1 info needed

Author Topic: Century G-1 info needed
Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2001 09:39 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gang! Can anyone please supply me with any tech. publications or info regarding the Century G-1? G-1 has me thinking that it is a government or military unit. The film compartment door resembels an SA and the gear compartment looks like an SA or "C". I already called Strong and Wolk--no books by them available. I forgot what the lens barrel dia. is. Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-29-2001 09:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably one of the Gunnery Trainer units that waller of cinerama was involved in

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-31-2001 12:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,
I rebuilt that intermittent late last year for the Rex Allen. It should be in GRO. Gears and other parts may be the same as a model C. If not then you're stuck in the mud so to say. The movement was a C model though.
Mark 2 GTS

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2001 12:50 PM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having been the previous operator of the machine in question, allow me to share what I know of it that may help you.
I was told that it's a C. (the plate on the front of it looks like it's been stamped more than once, so wether it's a C or a G-1 is questionable)
The person to ask about it's history prior to my envolvement with it is Bruce Wicks, as the machine was previously owned by him.
I have replaced gears in it as needed, the intermittent was rebuilt by Mark Gulbrandsen late last year. When I left that theater, that projector ran top notch.
(which unfortunately can't be said of everything else in that booth)

Kelsey @ GTS

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 04:02 PM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it really is a model G1, it will have a very thin shutter housing barely enough room for the blade to fit without air fins! There will be machined surfaces on the front of it as well as the focus and framing knobs will be facing the operator on the film side. These were Link gunnery heads used for rear screen projection at short throws for the Link Machine gun training units. They are identical to the C projector except for the shutter housing mod and originally had a 'GR' type movement that allowed use with a three blade shutter for fast pulldown. Most likely the one mark mentioned is the GR type but had been 'O' overhauled and most likely converted back to a standard C movement, if not, the film will pull down very fast like the Simplex
high speed movements. (tough on splices!) LTV/Link had several dozen of these machines made for training during and after WW2. The extra machining on the case was for timing & selsyns to interact with the vacuum tube electronics that operated the gun tracking etc. to score hits or misses by counting frames of film versus the shots and positions fired on the screen. Century (as usual) kep very little documentation on these, I would suggest contacting LTV if they are still around) I had 8 of these heads installed in Las Vegas for years and they ran great except the shutter would give problems if it was warped by the lamp!! I still have an original G-1 & G-3 head in my collection. (The G-3 had cast in 3/4" pipe threads in the front of the case to mount in the Link frame assy.)

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: