Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Motiograph AA driveshaft confusion

Author Topic: Motiograph AA driveshaft confusion
John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2001 05:57 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a nice AA head ready to run up for months now and finally got a driveshaft from someone...but it's nothing like the one pictured in the parts manual. This one has thin shaft with an internal drive gear machined right onto it and was obviously designed for a chain. The hole centers drilled through it for mounting a drive gear are too close together for the fiber gears I'm using to drive my Simplex and Brenkert, so that ain't right neither! I've got the original internal drive gear, but it obviously was designed for a thicker shaft. The picture in the parts manual looks like the original used a belt drive instead of a gear or chain. What I'm trying to do is to mate the AA head up with either a RCA 9030 or a Simplex 1040 soundhead. I know it's possible, but I'm stymied by these different designs. I just wanna see this thing run. Any advice?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2001 06:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you were sent a drive shaft for a Motiograph AA projector head to a Motiograph SH-7500 soundhead (uses a "silent chain" drive). Whenever you order a drive shaft for the projector head, always specify the make and model of the soundhead it will be used with!

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2001 07:46 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your sage advice is appreciated Ken, and if I'd ordered one from a place like Wolk or NTE (neither of which has the right shaft) I'd have made darned sure they knew which soundhead I'm using. It's an extra shaft that I picked up from a friend, so I can't complain too much. I know that the Motiograph sound head had a chain drive and He took it from his AA when he switched to a belt drive, so it is the chain drive model. I tried posting to the equipment forum, but he was the only one who answered. I just thought that it was odd that there'd be such a difference between the sizes...this thing will slip right through the inner diameter of my bearings! You'd think that the shaft and drive gear would be the same...just the driven element being different. I guess I'll have to make a trip to the local machine shop.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-26-2001 05:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, It sounds to me like you got the insides of the Motiograph main drive assembly. The actual main drive in the bottom of the AA is a socket affair that accepts any standard main drive shaft assy that might go on say a Super Simplex or E-7. This enabled them to mount the AA on any standard soundhead. The whole thing then rotates in the Motiograph's lower(lowest) ball bearings. I might be able to get you a drive socket(shaft) assy next time I go to Idaho. I haev a cusomter that has a pile of AA's. we ahve drive chains and I think the idlers in the parts drawers at work in case you need one of those too.
Mark @ GTS

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2001 10:16 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mark. I've found the right part from three different sources now, so I'm all set. Next time you're in Idaho, have a potato on me. My uncle Bob lived out there and worked as a lineman for the power company most of his life. You have to admire someone who likes hanging hundreds of feet in the air working on high voltage.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: