Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Filmguard Questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Filmguard Questions
Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2001 05:23 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you a god. Filmguard is the best thing since motion pictures were invented. Here is my problem. I run six projectors and only have one Kelmar cleaner. What would be the best way to protect all my prints with Fg. Buying more cleaners is not possible at this time. So far, I have tried to hit the prints as they come in but in some cases I'll have 2 or more prints opening and not enough time to protect all of them. I guess I need to know the recommended minimum times you would treat a new print? Once again thanks for giving us a great tool in the projectionist's arsenal. If you are ever in Alaska I will buy you the best seafood dinner you have ever had. You rock!

------------------

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-20-2001 06:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to cycle a cleaner using FG (on a 6-plex or less)is to run it all day on one machine, then the following day, reload the media and place it on the next machine, and so on. For places with more than 6 screens you would have to change the unit out after each film has had a couple passes thru the cleaner.

In most cases we run the cleaner on all new prints (assuming they are in the big house) and do touch-up treatments as needed on the smaller houses.

Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-20-2001 08:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend basically what Aaron said. An example senario for a 6 plex with 2 new prints opening on Friday:

***load up new media pads and saturate them***
Fri...brand new print #1

***change to new media pads (save Friday's pads) and saturate them***
Sat...brand new print #2

***keep same media pads from Saturday, but re-saturate them***
Sun...print #3

***keep same media pads from Saturday, but re-saturate them***
Mon...print #4

***load up media pads from Friday and re-saturate them***
Tue...print #5

***keep same media pads from Friday, but re-saturate them***
Wed...print #6

Thu...use the cleaner for any touch-ups you feel necessary (or put it on a film that is expected to play for a long time). Be sure to throw away all media pads used that week and start fresh every Friday.

This way you can hit all of your prints for a full day's worth of running all week long with only using 2 sets of media pads. That'll last you an entire month on one box and one bottle of FilmGuard should be enough for everything in a month's span as well.

Another tip...If you are buying Film-Tech brand media pads, our new ones (as of the last few months now) are being loaded to the maximum the cleaning machines can handle and cutting them in half will double the effective number of "rolls" you will get in a box.

Final note...If you are having shedding problems on the 2nd new print that will not get cleaned until Saturday, take a cloth and spray some FilmGuard on it fairly generously and with the platter spinning at a good speed, wipe the top of the print slowly starting from the outer edge and wiping toward the center. Run the first show "soundtrack upside down" from normal practice and repeat for the other side. This trick won't actually clean your print, but it will stop most of the shedding and cut most of the static.

Glad you like it.

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2001 05:28 PM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tips guys. Very handy.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-24-2001 06:29 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was running the projector at the college theatre, I would put clean pads on for the final test screening of a print and reuse them for the (one or two) go-shows. The next week I would use those pads to clean the next print by speed winding it on the platter right after the build. If the pads were still reasonably clean I'd keep them on for the first test screening. (I'd often have to repair crappy splices and soundtrack thumps, etc. -- KPF prints, Y'Know!) Then, when the print was repaired to my satisfaction I'd give it one more screening with clean pads.

Then I'd repeat the process for the next week's movie. Except for emulsion scratches, I could get near-perfect presentation out of a crappy Kit Parker print! (Anybody who's had a KPF print will know that they can look like they've been dragged through the parking lot. That's saying a lot for the powers of FilmGuard right there! )

Bob Peticolas
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2001 05:17 PM      Profile for Bob Peticolas   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question - would Film Guard be worth the trouble for a small house that runs one new feature a week with nine to twelve showings only?

We run one show daily, three on Sunday, and sometimes a late showing on Friday and/or Saturday nights if it's a very popular film.

If we ran the first showing through a cleaner with Film Guard, would the film stay in good shape throughout it's run? We have PTR rollers which are cleaned daily, would the Film Guard treatment replace the PTR system?

Thanks,

Bob

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-01-2001 08:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it would definitely help, but since FG is designed to "ideally" be used for a week at a time without having to change pads or re-saturate the cleaning media, you mine as well get the benefit by letting it run on every show.

...and yes, you would not need the PTRs.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-01-2001 08:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob P.:

The situation you describe is almost exactly the same as mine here, except we only run one show on Sunday.

We have been using FG for about 4 months and it works great. Another believer here!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-02-2001 02:31 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are running Filmguard, you can sell your PTR's. You'll never use them again. Mine have however made themselves very useful as paper weights.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage' - Indiana Jones.

Bob Peticolas
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2001 03:23 PM      Profile for Bob Peticolas   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, thanks for the answers. Now, the next question: Where can I find pictures of the Kelmar cleaner in use? I can find lots of publicity photos of the hardware (with Film Guard bottles in front of it) but no pictures of a cleaner actually in use with film going through it.

I checked the "manuals" section here but just found line drawings that don't really tell the story. Before I go out and spend $600+ on something I want to be sure that I can mount it and use it.

Does anyone have any closeups of the cleaner mounted and running film through it?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2001 04:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What make of projector and platter are you running?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-02-2001 07:33 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some in 'threading 101'. I thought the same way you do. I'm running Kinoton FP30's and Kinoton platters...believe me, if I can get the cleaner to work in THAT scenario, it can be done on anything.

------------------
"There's so much I don't know about Astro-Physics...wish I'd read that book by that wheel chair guy" Homer Simpson

Bob Peticolas
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2001 11:03 AM      Profile for Bob Peticolas   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running a SPECO platter system into a Brenkert projector. The platters are on the operator side of the projector. I have the PTR rollers mounted on the top of the platter tower to clean the film as it leaves the tower.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-03-2001 02:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I'm running a SPECO platter system into a Brenkert projector.<<

Then it should be easy to add the Kelmar cleaner. The cleaner comes with a projector bracket that will mount perfectly atop the Brenkert (or on top of any digital/mag penthouse readers you might have).The top reel arm/platter hardware mounts on top of the bracket. You might have to radically alter your top guidance pulley to accomodate running the machine with or without the cleaner (in many cases the angles change slightly between 'cleaner on' and 'cleaner off'). If you want to add this to the platter, you will likely have to drill and tap your platter tree and get a platter bracket from Kelmar. (the only platters that come factory ready for this cleaner are the Christie AW3/MW3's). Good luck!

And yes, Throw away the PTRs, They are not compatible with FG and the FG solution may actually destroy the PTR surfaces. (you will never want to use a set of PTRs again anyways after using FG!)

Aaron

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-03-2001 05:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Brenkerts had a thick changeover support bracket that will require a tall set of spacers to put a film cleaner on top.

For those that want to see a film cleaner projector mounted, check out the South Branch Cinema 6 photos in the gallery.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: