Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » platters with blowers

Author Topic: platters with blowers
Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2001 04:52 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard about the problems with the S**tplex (Simplex)
platters, I was once visiting a theatre booth that had the
platters equipped with blowers. I can't remember if they
were Potts or CFS,but which model(s) or brand? Were the blowers for
the bearings?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-16-2001 09:14 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the only platters I know of that had blowers were air platters. I can't remember the model or brand of them. I do know thay were loud. Basicaly air was used to turn the platter decks. These things were very notorious for having film problems. If you looked at them wrong it would effect the speed of them. I hope I never see one again.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-16-2001 09:29 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potts made the simplex platter and it was the only air driven platter-thankfully

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-16-2001 12:21 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone engineer an air-driven platter? Was there thought to be some advantage to air, over regular electric motors?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-16-2001 12:26 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it was just the first north american built platter and I assume they were trying to work around the norelco/kinoton patents

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2001 03:02 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe they were Super Platters so I assume they were CFS.
I assume most were converted to non-blower use.
I assume the blowers were for payout only.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-17-2001 07:37 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I believe they were Super Platters so I assume they were CFS<<

CFS nor ORC *EVER* made the Super with 'air blowers', they are all friction roller driven from electric motors, and always have been. Are you possibly confusing the drive motors with some kind of blower device? (granted the drive motors are a variation of a vacuum cleaner motor, but with a differing use).

You must be confusing with the Simplex platter, which is the only one i have ever heard of that used the air-blower drive.

Aaron

Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2001 11:31 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was called 'The Aerowind', it was blue, sold by NSS and carried the
Simplex name. underneath the bottom disc was a blower much like a vacuum cleaner. I was 'lucky' enough to get two in these in a small booth. When you turned them off at night they sounded a little like
jet engines whinning down and would take a while,much like having
generators in the booth.

John Eickhof
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2001 01:37 AM      Profile for John Eickhof   Author's Homepage   Email John Eickhof   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually NSS marketed them as the Simplex 'Aeromatic' or 'SAM' Platter. They were very noisy, and after a couple of people got scalped by the braces under the discs, Simplex discontinued them. Bob Potts went on to build an electric platter. The braces under the discs were a Z extrusion (with SHARP edges)and had the leading edge of the Z facing the direction of rotation! Thus, if the operator placed his head under a rotating disc, (to pre thread the disc, etc) and raised up, the Z metal would remove a piece of his scalp!! I know of two operators that this happened to!

------------------
John Eickhof President, Chief Slave
Northwest Theatre Equipment Co., Inc.
P.O.Box 258
Wendell, ID. 83355-0258
208-536-5489
email: jeickhof@nteequip.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: