Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » HELP! Simplex doing strange things! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: HELP! Simplex doing strange things!
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-09-2001 05:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Machine: Simplex 1050 with manual turret (pic available: look up Clover Cinema #2 in the Warehouse)

Complaint: It appears that the framing knob has a mind of its own, and when film is running will move its entire travel in a matter of a couple minutes, maybe even faster by now. Adding tension to the film running thru the machine speeds the problem up greatly. The manager is getting antsy and the projectionists are puzzled. (So am I, or I wouldnt be asking for assistance, as I have never seen this problem before)

Anyone have any ideas?

Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 06:36 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loose set screws or retaining clamp? Just guessing, although I have seen something like this before, long, long ago.

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 08-09-2001 07:13 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jerry:: Is that you?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-09-2001 08:55 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be that your intermittent is about to take a shit on you?
Does it seem to bind up a bit (on pull down) when you turn it over by hand?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 08-09-2001 09:00 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, there are two retaining springs on the framing cam. I would look there first.

I've seen this problem before (on several different makes of projector!), but for the life of me I can't remember exactly what solved the problem on the Simplex.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-09-2001 09:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I agree with Adam and Jerry. Give me a yell if that doesn't fix it.

Paul

Matt Basford
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 11:44 PM      Profile for Matt Basford   Email Matt Basford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this same problem about a month ago. I checked the retaining springs which didn't help. I actually found several missing teeth on the drive belt causing it to skip and the tourqe of the skipping caused the intermittent to move. Just something else to look for.

Jerry Chase
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2001 11:47 PM      Profile for Jerry Chase   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob:: Of course it is me. Who else would have a screw loose?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2001 12:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron,
Your problem is not at all unusual. Just order two new P1709 spring type framing sector clamps form Strong. The new clamps are made from spring steel while the older ones are machined steel and must be adjusted and then locked down. As the framming sector wears at the point that these older clamps contact it can cause uneven wear to the point that when you readjust the machined steel clamp you will be eble to turn it through to a point and when you hit the place on the sector that has not worn much you may not be able to turn it at all. The newer spring steel type will self adjust to what ever the wear pattern may be. Replacement can be a bit tricky and you will have to pull the movement to get at them easily. It is however an easy permanent fix for this problem.
MArk @ GTS

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-10-2001 02:39 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies- I am heading up there today to have a closer look at the problem.

I do not remember ever feeling the intermittent or anything else in that machines' gear train binding. However an unusual thing was reported to me by the projectionist there: he claims that the framing creep STOPS when the APERTURE PLATE is removed...

Aaron

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 08-10-2001 02:44 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.....probably because the operator had the frame knob jammed against the stop so it couldn't creep.

Paul

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2001 05:27 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler post for "The Others" removed by moderator at the request of other forum members.

Larry Davis
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2001 12:41 PM      Profile for Larry Davis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jim,
Thanks for ruining The Others for me.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-10-2001 04:47 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a spring P1755 and some friction discs P1571 & P2879 on the framing shaft, on the operating side behind the knob.
These resist the intermittent's desire to move up at pulldown as the film tugs through the gate. Increasing gate tension naturally makes this stronger, and apparently so does inserting an aperture plate.
If these parts are bungo the framing will walk during projection.
I think there may be updated parts available, we had this problem a few weeks ago and I recall the tech talking about some newer parts (may be unrelated of course) - call Strong/Ballantyne/Century/Simplex and ask them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2001 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those disks and spring only serve to seal the framing shaft and also to allow you to push in and rotate the shaft to align the word frame when you are in the center of your set position. Mainly for reference. The springs inside are defniately the problem. Been there done that many times. It was covered here some time back in another posting.
MArk @ GTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: