Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Victoria 9

Author Topic: Victoria 9
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-29-2001 11:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking at the cinemecanica history site and was wondering how many of that vic9 35/70 were ever built with the what appears to be a rotating mechanism and the extruded finned spool boxes. Does any one know if they were ever produced and installed or pulled after the prototype stage

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-07-2001 10:34 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Gordon, but a 70mm Vic 9 seems pretty rare. In fact, it seems very few regular V9's were made. Too bad; I really liked that machine and would trust it with 70mm, especially if it were to have that new curved gate.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 11:15 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are quite a few Vic 9's here (35mm I've never heard of a 35/70), in fact I was playing with two this very day.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2001 07:17 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone else mentioned Vic 9 in connection to 70mm, i would have talked about april fools joke -- The niner is no heavyweight, You know. -As a matter of fact, when i (seldom, but it happens) run from Vic 9 to DGB 4000 tower instead of platter, the Vic is not able to stand still, when tower is started on standŽby - It pulls the film foreward, turning intermittent real slow, while waiting for show to start... With the platter system (ST 200), the Vic runs like a dream (- believe it or not)

Any experience with chancing Vic 9 two blade shutter for a three blade ? - Is it possible on all types ? -Would it give more picture steadyness without stealing all my light ??

/ p

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-07-2001 10:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well cinemecanica did introduce a vic9 35/70 and it wasn't no light weight either it looked like the wieght of a vic10. There is a picture in the history section onthe cinemecanica web site

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-14-2001 08:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well here is a picture of the beast in question

Danny Hart
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2001 09:35 PM      Profile for Danny Hart   Email Danny Hart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was the Vic 8 which was 35/70mm compatible

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-15-2001 11:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because it weighed allot doesn't mean that the mechanism was any good. If you ask me some Itallian sports car body designer got ahold of the thing and gave it the once over. Those must be the worlds most expensive magazines!
Mark @ GTS

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2001 11:34 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked on a couple of Vic-9's in North Bay that looked nothing like the beast in the picture. They were 35 only, and resembled a gear driven Vic-5. I believe the model in the picture was the one that had you tilt the projector mechanism up or down for your projection angle, but the soundheads, lamp, and pedastel remained level. I wonder what kind of optics were used to compensate.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-20-2001 10:01 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Rick... the picture of the V9 doesn't look like the V9's I used either.

Ours were the 'open' model, without any magazines. But still, I don't see the c/o shutter lever, or the rectangular hatch to change the framing lamp. Can't see any framing lever, which stuck out the top. I do see what looks like the V8's framing knob which is in the same place as a V8. (A V8 and V9 use the same intermittent.)

It looks like there is some angled sections to the casting (shown just above and below the swing-away anamorphic lens) which wasn't on ours. Ours didn't have that round thing on the front of the casting, just below the upper magazine (maybe it's just a "Cinemecannica" badge.)

Our pedestal had a platform to place the lamp on. It had switches for motor, c/o and exciter. The one shown in the picture has some bellows looking thing where the lamp is... perhaps that's just the lamp that was on the machine when the picture was taken and not really part of the projector.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-20-2001 10:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures of the Vic 9's in northbay are in the warehouse under cinema champlain. I tool these when I installed there dolby a few years back

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: