Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Gaumont-Kalee 21 ( Sexy beast) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gaumont-Kalee 21 ( Sexy beast)
James Robertson
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2001 05:25 AM      Profile for James Robertson   Email James Robertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apropos the best/worst projector, Id like start a thread on the Kalee 21 surely the best looking projector ever built. Mark Gulbrandsen was right on the money when he desribed its looks as Art Deco. I don't think it would be out of place in an Art Deco museum. Please no comments that that's where it really belongs

Interesting also that Mark says it gets his best projector vote whilst Stefan Scholz gives it his worst projector vote:confused

Anyway is there anyone out there who has some good pictures of this beautiful looking beast and can post them here or on the Pictures section of Film Tech. I'm sure some of our younger projectionists who know nothing of this 1950's design will be quite startled by its good looks.

Jim Robertson

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2001 05:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The kalee has the best fit and finsish of any projector I have seen. And oh, that Chris Craft base thay made for it was pretty cool.
The Phillips are next for best fit and finish. The Model 21 was way ahead of its time as a post war projector. Single blade, double speed shutter, oil bath, and that solid cast iron main frame that couldnl't be bent or dented if you hit it with a sludge hammer. Sure, they had their problems but then don't all projectors.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2001 05:35 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have pictures of this sexy-beast?

Also, does anyone know if there are any Simplex Grandeurs laying around somewhere-in a museum maybe? I would like some pics and info. I understand that they were modified Supers for 35/70 and changed to 35/50. Ran in an oil-bath?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2001 05:47 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep: They were Yorkshire's Best built at the Kershall in Leeds,
will post some original pictures of the GK21, I will try to scan in from the original service manual.

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2001 06:14 PM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Over at the uni York (not too far from Leeds) we're still running a model 20. I'm not sure exactly how similar this is to the 21 but agreed its still a damn good workhorse - 30 years and still going strong (albeit with a few modifications over the years!)

I can't get in to take any pics at the moment as we're all away till October but I may have some hidden away somewhere - I'll send them in if I can find them.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-05-2001 06:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben said kalee yorkshires best
I thought that was Tetleys

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2001 09:59 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes the Kalee 21 one of my favourites,have very good memories useing these great machines over the years.There are still some about still in use.A pair are in use in a reopened thatre about 3 hrs from here I hope to pop down for a loook one day.They have the full Kalee package 21projector,sound head and the president lamp house on the Kalee pedistal.I have threading diagram here if that is of any use James.
Only prob with the Kalee is the aperture plate, put the wrong one in You have to stop the show to change it happened to me once or twice and they can leak a bit but nothing serious and is easy fixed.They would have been the most solid projector ive used.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2001 10:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has a Grandeur projector. Check out the Chicago Cinema Museum pics here in the pictures archives. He did not haev the Grandeur set up on display at the time I took all the pictures though. It is definately NOT an adaptation of a Super Simplex, and the thing weighs in at around 800 lbs for just the head. It has an integral optical sound reproducer and is definately oil bath. His machine originally was in the Malkammes collection.
Mark @ GTS

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2001 11:22 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I apprenticed on GK20's back in the early 60's. Still the best projectors I ever worked with. As was already mentioned, just don't forget to change the aperture plate.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2001 02:17 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon

Wash your mouth out. Yorkshire's finest? Black Sheep Rigwelter ale

We have a Kalee 21 complete with Varimorph on display outside the projection room in Pictureville. this machine was actually installed in Leeds University and lovingly cared for by the (in)famous Jim Shultz hence the legend "Jimbo 21" applied to the control plate. Will try and post pictures later today.

Talking about Varimorph perhaps that could become Mr Redifer's new user name

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2001 06:54 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Certainly a projector remembered often is the Kallee 21. The plants I used leaked a bit ( a lot actually), but they were certainly well put together, in fact over-engineered in my opinion.

I start to think they were right up with my favourites until I remember that crazy aperture set-up. They could not forsee multiple formats during the original design but if not for this gate design many more would be in operation today.

We sold 9 Kallee projectors last year from our storage facility (7 x 21's, 2 x 19's). After lugging a few down stairs over the years I thought they were the heaviest projectors made along with Cinemeccanica Vic 8 and Vic 10...........then I ran into the AAII (DP70) wow, no projector would even approach the fully assembled weight of one of these Philips monsters.

David Kilderry

Stephen Brown
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2001 08:28 AM      Profile for Stephen Brown   Email Stephen Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kalee 21 seems to have been a popular choice in Australia. I learned on 21's with the carbons, and 20 minute reels. I'll scan the photos I have of them (back in 1980) and I'll send them in so you can all have a look. Yep, they leaked a bit of oil, but they were built solid to last. They looked awfully impressive with the varimorphs on the front. I didn't mind the aperture plate setup. It made me double check the plate everytime I did a format change. I guess it made me a better operator, getting me into the check, check, and then check again mentality

Steve Brown

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-06-2001 08:46 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never met a 21 that didn't leak oil. There are still a few of them around. There's a Kalee running cinema 2 at the Valhalla in Sydney, also running Hornsby Cinema and there's one sitting as a spare machine in the main booth at the Randwick Ritz...although not for much longer. If you would like to buy it, it's up for sale.

------------------
"If you think THIS is fantastic...wait until you see the full effect with the HIMP!"
- Chief Inspector Clouseau.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2001 08:55 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run the odd Kalee or two in my time, unfortunately mine were well past their best by the time a young whippersnapper like me came to be their lord and master. That said they were reliable old lumps, albeit very noisy, and with a propensity for chewing shutter drive and rep set transfer gears. I guess like all of us, they were just getting older.

I don't actually know of any still in use in Scotland, the former CAC Orient Express, later Robin's in Dunfermline had a 19 and a 21 when I worked there, but that's closed now (

About the aperture; I agree it was a pain in teh butt to change apertures, however, I have seen a GK20 on in the North of England that has been modified to take a century type plate. As this machine was serviced by Jim Schulz, my best guess is that this is one of his creations.

btw, I am in the process of modifying some GK racking handles to use as door knobs in my house!

Rob Jones
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2001 09:07 AM      Profile for Rob Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Rob Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone's after one we currently have one sitting unloved in several pieces in the corner of the office Afaik its complete with the original soundhead although I have the feeling its been scavenged for parts over the years. The main problem has been moving the damn thing! Its not got the base, but even so....

While I'm thinking about this, has anyone had any experience converting the soundhead to be compatible with cyan sound tracks? Jack Roe said they could convert a Jax Light to fit in there, but It'd be nice to be able to do the job ourselves if we could!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: