Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Tailor of Panama Soundtrack

Author Topic: The Tailor of Panama Soundtrack
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 09:03 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this film twice in 2 different theatres, The first Dolby Digital and the second Dolby Digital EX. The film is supposed to have an EX mix but on both occasions I failed to notice virturlly any surround effects at all. Has anyone else seen this print and would like to comment?

I also found that on both the occasions the image was very grany mostly in the first reel.

------------------
------------------
Michael Brown
Bradford Student Cinema
www.Bradfordstudentcinema.co.uk

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2001 12:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard most people describe the mix to this movie as big, flat mono. Does the studio advertise this in EX? If they did, they are doing everybody a disservice.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 02:56 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tails of the film usually indicate the digital formats available for the print. When are they going to indicate whether or not the print is EX encoded as well?

Lee Davies
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2001 09:59 PM      Profile for Lee Davies   Email Lee Davies   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we ran this a couple of weeks ago the labels on the reel cases said it was a SR / SDDS print, which I figured was right as it is a Columbia film. However upon closer inspection there was a SRD track too. "Good" I thought so it wont be in SR. And just to confuse things a bit more, on the end credits it does in fact say "Dolby Digital Surround-EX". When will we ever get the right information, eh? What happened to the idea of labelling the cases so it was easier to tell what was EX encoded??

Just my 2p's worth!

Lee

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2001 08:04 AM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup the credits identify the film as having Dolby Digital Surround EX, no mention of Sony. And its sounds like crappy mono. Did anybody run this in SDDS.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: