Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Couple of dumb D.T.S .questions (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Couple of dumb D.T.S .questions
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2001 07:46 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever have someone ask you a seemingly innocent question and have your brain suddenly go into "freeze" mode and be unable to think of a valid answer? Happened to me not once but twice today.

I had just finished explaining that with D.T.S., if timecode is lost for a short duration, the unit will "coast" for 4 or 5 seconds. If time-code is re-established during that time, no problem, otherwise it will default to optical.

"Does this mean", I was asked, "that if I have two trailers, the first one DTS, and the second one analog, that the first four of five seconds of the analog trailer will be muted until the DTS defaults?"

As if this wasn't enough, the smart-ass then asked:

"What if a soundtrack score called for a 1KHz note to be played for exactly one second, but the projector was running at, say, 10 % below speed (possible with drive-belt slippage on some older projectors)? Would the note, like on analog be played at 900 Hz, or would we hear the 1KHz note, but at a longer duration?"

Would someone please field these for me while I thaw my brain out in the microwave again?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2001 07:58 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to answer your first question. Yes this sometimes can happen when the timecode quits reading it can delay the sound for a couple of seconds. Sometimes it will start playing the beginning of the trailer for a second or two.

To answer your second question. The dts player does not vary it's speed to compensate for a slower machine. If a machine is running to slow the timecode may not read properly plus there would be a sincronization problem. It is rare to see a projector run to slow. And if it did it is time for a new motor or get the belts changed to a slip proof gear pully system.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-18-2001 08:00 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Does this mean", I was asked, "that if I have two trailers, the first one DTS, and the second one analog, that the first four of five seconds of the analog trailer will be muted until the DTS defaults?"

Yes. This drives me nuts, so I usually add some opaque film in between (ie, policy tags) or try to run the analog trailer first.

quote:
"What if a soundtrack score called for a 1KHz note to be played for exactly one second, but the projector was running at, say, 10 % below speed (possible with drive-belt slippage on some older projectors)? Would the note, like on analog be played at 900 Hz, or would we hear the 1KHz note, but at a longer duration?"

Never experienced this, but I would guess one of two things would happen. (1) You would not be sending valid timecode to the player and it would not run in digital. (2) You'd get the 1kHz tone and the sound would "skip" like a CD, but maybe without the "click" since DTS has a 5ms cross-fade for timecode jumps.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-18-2001 09:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first question has really only happened to me a few times. I would think that when the DTS unit reaches the end of the file (trailer), it would just drop out if no timecode is present. So unless you cut your trailers before it officially ends, this shouldn't be a problem, in theory.

I believe the 2nd question has already been sufficiently answered.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2001 09:51 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure I agree, Joe. Too often, on an automated system using rotary timers to shut down the show on automation, the non/sync cue switches the Dolby to non/sync, only to have the DTS (talking 2-drive system here) default and switch the Dolby to 04, rewarding the audience with the sound of the tail-piece as it runs through. (Shakes the dust out of the sub-woofers, anyways).

If there was a "end of file" flag, surely they would put one at the end of the feature.

Also, OK maybe 10 % slow was a little much, but assuming a slight (say 1 %) drop in speed, would the DTS be correcting itself during the whole performance? And how long would that 1kHZ note play?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-18-2001 09:58 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I've had that problem where the DTS pulses it back into SR after the automation pulses Non-Sync. I figured DTS fixed that. Of course, I always keep the greenbands attached to my trailers, and most of the time that gives the unit PLENTY of time to drop to analog if necessary. That's probably why I haven't noticed the trailer thing you mentioned.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-18-2001 10:40 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The end of show problem _is_ an issue. I hate hearing tail leaders run through, and I'm quite sure that it isn't very good for the loudspeakers. Supposedly there is a fix for this.

The trailer issue isn't really a problem, since the first couple of seconds for most trailers is just the ratings band, which doesn't have sound anyway. As long as the fadeout on the previous trailer is there, it's a nonissue unless you have, say, a trailer in DTS spliced right before a non-digital policy trailer or something that doesn't begin with silence. In this case, the workaround is to either add black leader (as suggested) or add an automation cue to switch to format 01/04/05 (as appropriate) to be read before the policy snipe begins. (Obviously, this can all be done manually, too, but I've never worked with DTS in a booth without automation.)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2001 10:52 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
simple solution to the non sync problem. Add another end cue to the film about 4 seconds after the timecode stops. This will switch it back to non sync. Some automations this might not work on. So it may require the cutting off of the tail on the last reel and splicing some black leader on to it and having the shut down cue placed on this leader.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-18-2001 10:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The 3 drive 6-D units will automatically pulse the cinema processor back into non-sync. There are 2 easy solutions to this.

#1 Disconnect the wire to the non-sync automation connector so that ONLY the dts unit can pulse back into non-sync. This of course is not desirable if you are going to run a non-dts film in that auditorium.

#2 Time out your end of show cue so that the ENTIRE blue rating band is shown (which should be done anyway). This way the automation will pulse into non-sync at the last possible second and you shouldn't have the problem any more.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-18-2001 11:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add a little more to Rick's second question, about what would happen if the projector were running slow, this points out a basic misunderstanding the public has with digital audio.

With a fully uncompressed linear digital audio bitstream, you can do DSP tricks to it to cause pitch shifts, slow downs and other stuff like that. You don't really have that capability when dealing with a packeted data compressed format like DTS. The audio pretty much has to play as is. Basically, it either works or doesn't work. If the projector slows down to too slow a rate for the DTS player to maintain proper synch, the audio is just going to pop back and forth between digital and analog failsafe tracks.

For dealing with the first question about trailers, projectionists really have to be careful about just what kind of black leader they are adding to a clip. I recall seeing a DTS Digital Experience trailer played at one theater that had some damage to the tail end of it. To extend some black on the back end, they merely cut some of the lead in on the clip and put that on the back end. The result was a trailer that was virtually unlistenable. Without some of the needed time code up front, it took too long for the DTS unit to kick in. The word "digital" is already doing its flyaround gag by the time you start hearing it in digital. Then when the trailer is finished and going to black --you hear the damned beginning whoosh of the disc fixing to fly into frame. Even if the film frame on that leader is black, that doesn't mean the timecode will always synch up to silence.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2001 11:39 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Ontario, we dont get the ratings bands with the trailers, so I guess black leader is the way to go. An extra cue would not work as there is only one cue that triggers the stop timer sequencer. (Sorry if I wasn't clear about that before).

I have done something similar to what Brad suggested by putting the digital default line in series with the micro-switch on the change-over so that it can only default if the change-over is up.

(Cinemeccanica console automation and Victoria 5 projector).

As Brad mentioned, there is no problem with the three deck units.

Thanks for the clarification, Bobby, btw, I have heard that too.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2001 02:18 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drop out issue IS a problem. At our theatre, the attached trailer is always the last preview, followed by a :20 snipe for the local radio station that's our marketing partner, policy trailer, sound, and then feature. Here is the problem, many times the DTS won't kick out at the end of the attached trailer, and you'll actually here the opening music of the feature for a few brief seconds. Rather embarrasing, having the Fox or Universal logos (very recognizable to the audience) play for a few secnds over the radio snipe. The answer of course is simple, put some black leader between the two. But sometimes someone will forget.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-19-2001 02:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, that's because the fine folks at the labs who splice the attached trailer together OVERLAP the two, so the dts timecode and analog audio track for the feature is actually on the end of the attached trailer.

(Someone pointed out a few weeks ago that it may also be the studio's fault, but whoever is doing this really needs a good slap.)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-19-2001 09:47 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some cases I have actually put a relay contact in serries with the led in the reader controled by the automation to stop the reversion at the end of the show on older units
A big problem is with CP200 since the audio flows through the relays on the breakout board
I ended up adding a line to the nonsync formats that turned on one of the future buss outputs of the 200 that controls a dip relay in serries with the common of the relays on the DTS board. If nonsync is selected the DTS cannot control the breakout board

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-19-2001 11:09 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, I mentioned using opaque leader ... I meant that to mean opaque mylar or, as Brad mentioned in another thread, fullcoat mag. There should be no timecode and no (active) analog soundtrack on it or you're defeating the purpose of adding it. Also, I leave on the green bands and the only place I have to add opaque is on the policy snipes.

I would also imagine that the playback unit will allow the timecode to become up to 3 or 4 frames off sync before it jumps. At 24fps, 1% difference in speed is .24 frames per second out of sync and it would take 12.5 seconds to become 3 frames out of sync. A 1/8 second jump (3 frames of audio) every 12 seconds with a 5ms crossfade will probably be unnoticeable. Of course, what are the chances that your motor is running at exactly 24.0 fps anyway?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: